Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
MikeV
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike

Feature request - Search in backups

Post by MikeV » 1 person likes this post

For easy restore of for example a file that was deleted, a search within the available backup sets would be nice.

As the search result all back-up sets with the file are displayed.

This way the client does not have to browse for the file in all of the available backup sets.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature request - Search in backups

Post by Dima P. »

Mike,
So you mean global indexing of the files inside the exising backups? Agree, that could be very handy, thank you – noted!
MikeV
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike

Post by MikeV »

D.Popov
Yes,
Customers alwayss come with the issue that they are missing file XXX, but they dont know when is was deleted or which location it resided.
Calebpaine
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Caleb

Feature Request: Select file to restore *THEN* pick time

Post by Calebpaine »

I don't know if this is possible since VEB stores each backup job as a discreet file, but it would be nice in situations where you aren't 100% positive when a file changed (say one that changes regularly, like a document) & when a backup occurred to be able select a file to restore, then be given a prompt showing all available backup times. The ability to even restore all revisions (or perhaps select a discreet selection therein) that can be reviewed externally would be a big plus as well.

Use case:
I have a scratch folder where I pull down web files and often documents to work on. At some point (without my immediate knowledge) I made a change that broke, well, everything. I knew specifically which file to restore, but not when the change occurred that caused the problem. I had to do a restore on each backup job independently, walking backwards in time until I found a working revision. It would have been very helpful if I could have selected the file to restore, then be shown all the times that that file changed. Ideally I could have restored all revisions to a single folder, organized in some way chronologically (in time-stamped folders, or perhaps all files in a single folder with time-stamped file-names?).
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Caleb,
I guess your request refers to the file indexing. By the way, this is available in the Veeam Backup and Replication product, and in case you are looking for a solution to protect your virtual infrastructure - it is worth testing. Here is a description of the Indexing feature in the Help Center.