Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
verre
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Valentino Erre

parallel processing or load balancing???

Post by verre »

Hello! If I have a vm with 3 vmdk and in my architecture scenario I have 3 proxy in load balancing (SAN access mode) and each proxy has more then 3 core... how the vmdk are collected when I run the backup job? Are they collected in parallel processing by only one proxy (one vmdk per core of the same proxy) or in load balancing (one proxy per vmdk)?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Re: parallel processing or load balancing???

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Each proxy will get one VMDK to process, and all three will do it at the same time (in parallel).
verre
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Valentino Erre

Post by verre »

Gostev wrote:Each proxy will get one VMDK to process, and all three will do it at the same time (in parallel).
I wanted to resume this old post and show you an image with related question. Firstly the image

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4V1PF ... sp=sharing

Now the assumption....

I call PARALLEL PROCESSING the ability to load the process across multiple core inside one proxy (one vmdk per core)
I call LOAD BALANCING the ability to load the process across multiple proxy (one vmdk per proxy)

...and the question...

where the 4th vmdk will be processed? Second core of the first proxy?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Are those proxies the same in terms of system specs (CPU, Memory)? Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Post by Gostev »

These make no difference, Vladimir.

The only thing that matter is a number of available task slots on proxies. Assuming "cores" on the picture mean "task slots", the task will go to "top of the list" backup proxy that got the very first VMDK originally, because really, all equal proxies are equal in this scenario. So yes, "second core of the first proxy" is the correct answer here.

Note that I have also assumed, based on the existing VMDK distribution, that we are talking about either SAN or NBD processing modes here, and not HOT ADD (as VMDKs already being processed would have been distributed differently for hot add).

Lots of assumptions :D