Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Journeymangeek
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ravi Mohan

Better errors for FAT32 drives

Post by Journeymangeek »

I attempted to use a fat32 drive to do a backup and I got a "Not enough space on the disk" error. I know windows gives it by default, but its *entirely unhelpful* in working out the issue. Could we have filesystem detection on local backups and either an error pointing out its a FAT32 drive (assuming chunking backups isn't an option, but that's a whole different feature request)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Better errors for FAT32 drives

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Did you backup files outgrow the max supported file size (4 GBs) for FAT32 systems?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Ravi,

Yes, users do stuff like backup a volume of a larger size to the smaller size repository and nobody cannot predict that. In the Endpoint, we did not set a limit during backup as compression and deduplication might save some space. The error wording seems to be ok - it is simple and it indicates the exact problem, like check the engine bulb
Journeymangeek
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ravi Mohan

Post by Journeymangeek »

Oh certainly. I'd forgotten the darned thing was FAT32 - and glared at it for a moment before I realised I had reformatted it to FAT32 for testing it on some odder hardware. It would be more accurate to give a warning saying its a fat32 drive (which was the real issue) than that I had run out of space.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Ravi,
Honestly we have thought about it, but decided not to overload the UI. Thank you for describing you use case – we will get back to this problem with the dev team, and discuss what we can do.
corby
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Corby Agid

Post by corby » 2 people like this post

How often are full backups < 4GB ? Get rid of FAT32 support and recommend NTFS or exFAT.