Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

Failover to replica question

Post by ashman70 »

I have been reading up on the planned failover option in V8, it seems to suggest you could use this feature for maintenance, but I am a little confused about that.

If I have V8 standard and I am replicating an exchange 2010 server every two hours and wanted to install a SP let say.

If I performed a manual replication, then immediately did a plan failover to the replica, does the original VM power down automatically or do I have to power both the original vm down and the replica up manually? Once the replica is up and running, can I then power up the original VM too and work on it? How could both VM's be on the same network at the same time? In this scenario my replication server is at the same physical location as the server running the source vm's and its on the same network as well.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Failover to replica question

Post by foggy »

Everything is done automatically during the planned failover procedure (the original VM is powered off and replica VM is started). After that, you can temporarily connect the original VM to another network and start it to perform maintenance/upgrade.