Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
sol1au
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sol One

Feature Request : P2V restore

Post by sol1au » 2 people like this post

this function would be amazing, allowing me to transform a backup into a vmware virtual machine. in the event of a failure of hardware, this can allow me to bring up a clients PC / Server in a much lower timeframe than buying new hardware and dumping the backup image back to the new equipment.

I believe with the bootable media ISO I created , I could do this via making a virtual machine, booting the recovery ISO and dumping the backup back onto a VM, but importing from a OVA would be a ton easier.

thanks for making this great piece of free software Veeam !! you are great :) :mrgreen:
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1566 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature request submissions

Post by Dima P. »

Hi sol1au,
Well, there is a workaround even now:

- create a recovery media on an ISO
- make a backup
- create a blank VM with the required number of disks
- attach .iso to this VM and boot up the recovery appliance
- once restored you can use your physical machine as a VM

Of course that is not the main purpose of the Endpoint, but a small bonus we got, while working on the recovery media.
allister.wade
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Allister Wade

Post by allister.wade »

Allow restoring backups of PCs to a VM from B&R.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Re: Feature Request : backup to OVA file for VMWare

Post by Dima P. »

Allister,

We have a workaround described above. By the way once the VBR as a backup target is enabled inside the Endpoint (after the current BETA) you would get the ability to run a file level restores from VBR console
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6633 times

Post by Gostev »

allister.wade wrote:Allow restoring backups of PCs to a VM from B&R.
Huge can of worms due to drivers issues... P2V is a whole different beast, it's not as easy as you make it sound.
steve.h
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Hawes

Feature Request - restore to VM

Post by steve.h »

I think it would be helpful if one of the restore options was to restore to a VM that could be launched in Vmware Workstation or something similar.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Re: Feature Request : backup to OVA file for VMWare

Post by Gostev »

I don't disagree with this statement ;)
MikeV
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike

Feature request - Restore to local Hyper V / VHD

Post by MikeV »

Restore to:
- local Hyper V vm machine.
- VHD file
- Exportable format
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

[MERGED] P2V Server 2008

Post by frankive »

I have a customer running Windows Server 2008 32-bit.
He begs me if it is possible to virtualize his server since it has some very specifig (and OLD!) software which can't be reinstalled on another server due to missing it-competency from the software provider.
So the only solution to keep this running for some more years it to virtualize it if his server is crashing.

I have not tried disk2vhdx on Server 2008, but I was thinking about giving Veeam Endpoing a shot here. I have the beta now, and was wondering if I am gonne try this, should I remove the ticket for include hardware drivers during backup since I will try to restore to a hyper-v machine?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Re: P2v Server 2008

Post by Gostev »

This will mostly likely make no difference since hardware is vastly different and any included drivers from physical server will simply not be used. However, it just makes sense to do this (configure the recovery appliance not to include those drivers). Don't forget to install Hyper-V integration tools after restore has been completed, and please post your experiences!
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Re: P2v Server 2008

Post by frankive »

I will certainly do that, Gostev! :)
mcafeej
Influencer
Full Name: Jesse McAfee

Re: Feature Request : P2V restore

Post by mcafeej » 1 person likes this post

I was able to P2V my laptop using the steps above without any issues at all, this software is truly a work of art! If you combine EndPoint with B&R as a backup repository I don't see any reason what so ever not to use this solution.

The restore of 52GB for a P2V conversion took about 2 hours from a small NAS box to a ESXi 5 server. (I can tell you now the bottleneck was the NAS box, its just something I test with.) Upon first boot I did notice windows thought the machine had shutdown unexpectedly and wanted to boot to Safe Mode. However I selected Normal and it booted directly into Windows without the need of another reboot.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Jesse,

Thank you for posting the results. There could be issue might be related to the drivers (VMs has common configurations and physical machines not) or applications you had inside your existing physical machine. If it is a simple laptop – then most probably you will not have any issues with restore, but for serious servers it’s definitely not recommended.
mcafeej
Influencer
Full Name: Jesse McAfee

Post by mcafeej »

I agree, most P2V conversions has the biggest issues with storage controllers (that I have come across) and the removal of disconnected or unused devices from Device Manager. I find using a program like DevCon in conjuction with the remove-nonpresent-devices script useful in automating the removal process on the restored vm. (Use at own risk and test in a non-production environment first)
Balbo
Novice
Full Name: Riccardo Balboni

[MERGED] Feature Request - Instant P2V Recovery

Post by Balbo »

I would like the possibility to recover and start the Endpoint Client (physical or virtual) as a VM of a vSphere or Hyper-V environment directly from the Veeam B&R Server Console...a sort of "Instant P2V Recovery"!
SamVan
Influencer
Full Name: Sam Pahlavan

Feature Request - Converstion to VMDK

Post by SamVan » 1 person likes this post

It would be very practical and useful, both from operations and business continuity and DR prospective, to be able to convert the back file (.vbk) to a vmdk, creating the opportunity for the Endpoint users to complete a P2V scenario.
I have heard, from my previous individual conversations with Veeam representatives that the Endpoint product was not designed for P2V. Knowing this fact, I believe there is nothing in the way of using the product to accomplish converting a physical machine to a VM. I am in the process of testing this and will convey my results to either the forum (here) or tweet it (@SoPahTech).
Thank you for considering the backup file conversion to VMDK and possibly making it available in the GA.
Have a great week everyone.
P.S. Anton: Received your newsletter (e-mail). Very informative and productive! Please keep up the good work!

SP
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Re: Feature Request - Converstion to VMDK

Post by ninjaburn81 »

Sam:

What about other conversion tools, such as VMware's own Converter tool? https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=converter

This would save the 'backup' step and it is already directly created for this purpose.

Just my thought!
SamVan
Influencer

Post by SamVan »

Yes. Sure Adam. That will work as well. But doesn't the convertor only allow one to grab the back file and convert it into a VM? (enabling us to let the VM land on a host) I want to be able to perform a file-to-file conversion. Meaning I need the backup software let me convert the vbk file to vmdk. This will be very useful for business continuity (BC) and DR scenarios.
Having said that I need to the first scenario as well (using the VMware convertor to use the Endpoint backup file and convert it to a VM.)
Have you or any one else here at the forum tested that? Is the Endpoint vbk file recognizable by the convertor?

Thanks
ninjaburn81
Expert

Post by ninjaburn81 »

Unfortunately no, the VBK files are not recognized by the converter, per the doc here: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/convsa_50_guide.pdf

You are correct that some other backup systems can do a P2V based off of their own backups (Symantec Backup Exec for example). From what I have seen tho, this application never was intended to interface with its B&R cousin, which would have the tools to interface with VMware and Hyper-V. Doesn't mean it's not on the roadmap though! ;)

ADMINS: suggest this topic be merged with this one? http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-endpoint- ... 24584.html
ninjaburn81
Expert

Post by ninjaburn81 »

Curious on B...what did you use settings-wise for your shell VM?
SamVan
Influencer

Post by SamVan »

Absolutely. I was reluctant to bring it up here. But you are correct. Symantec products including Symantec System Restore 2014 is able to do a one-time conversion. This is to convert the SSR backup file to a vmdk file.
I am hoping that this feature will be included in the roadmap. Ability to use the vbk file to with VMware convertor, is another feature on my wish list since you have mentioned it's not currently available.

As promised, on testing P2V:

I was able to successfully use Endpoint to complete a P2V process: (in vSphere):
A. Backup the physical machine
B. Create a shell VM
C. Boot to the bootable ISO
D. Restore using the backup file.
It worked like a charm. No driver issues.
Hardware: HP xw-4400 Workstation
Now the next test should be to repeat the process on a server (i.e, Dell PowerEdge or other server platforms). This will be a more comprehensive test for the drivers.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Sam, We’ve seen a convert .vbk to .vmdk request multiple times, so it’s in discussions.

Adam, Thanks for the heads up - I followed you lead and merged both topics into single thread :D
B. Create a shell VM
BTW In my lab I use default H/W and adjust only CPU/Disk size (...and it just works)
manhattan11
Lurker
Full Name: Angelo Vetrano

Post by manhattan11 »

Hi Guys,
I've tried SamVan suggestion without good result, Blue screen appear after restore the image into VM.

it's sound strange that Veeam doesn't provide an official way to convert bare metal offline backup (.vbk) to Vmdk.
Please give your suggestions and experience, I like veeam and I prefer to use it for these common task. :roll: :D

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi,

Most probably, you did restore with all the drivers collected from the original OS. Prior to performing a Bare Metal Recovery got to Tools > drivers and uncheck the box ’inject drivers’
Veeam doesn't provide an official way to convert bare metal offline backup (.vbk) to Vmdk
'Export as virtual disk' is a type of restore available in VBR console as a part of integration with VEB.