Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
kapple
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ken Applebaum

What tape proxy components are deployed to remote tape dev.

Post by kapple »

Hi,

Currently, in order to backup up critical VMs, we archive Veeam backups to tape. This is initiated by the Remote backup server (Symantec Backup Exec [BUE] on W2KR2 server). We deployed the BUE agent to the Veeam server, and back up the repository where the VM backup files reside. This works fine.

I see with Veeam 8, you can initiate backups to tape of your disk-based Veeam backup files. In order to do this, you add a tape server to Veeam. For this to work, Veeam deploys "tape proxy components" to the remote Windows server that has the Tape library attached.

My question is, what are the components that are deployed to the remote backup server? We have a change control process I need to follow in order to deploy this solution, and I need to give specific information regarding what is deployed, how it changes the server, and what the back-out plan is if an epic failure occurs.

Any information regarding what components Veeam installs on the remote server will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: What tape proxy components are deployed to remote tape d

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Ken,

Veeam proxy uses the following services and components:

Veeam Installer Service - an auxiliary service that is installed and started on any Windows server once it is added to the list of managed servers in the VBR console. This service analyses the system, installs and upgrades necessary components and services depending on the role selected for the server.
Veeam Transport is responsible for deploying and coordinating executable modules that act as "data movers" and perform main job activities on behalf of Veeam Backup & Replication, such as communicating with VMware Tools, copying VM files, performing data deduplication and compression and so on.

Here is the list of ports used if you need it. Thanks.
kapple
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ken Applebaum

Post by kapple »

Thank you very much Nikita!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

We deployed the BUE agent to the Veeam server
Additionally please, make sure that you do not use the 3rd party solution and our tape service sequentially. 3rd party software may lock the library or drives interfering the Veeam tape functionality. The general recommendation would be to disable it while you are testing Veeam.