Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
danswartz
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Dan Swartzendruber

Newly created VM does not show in the job wizard?

Post by danswartz »

So my vsphere backups and replications with veeam B&R has been working just fine. Last night I had to replace a NIC on the vsphere server and subsequent replication and backup failed with a message about host uuid not found. Google steered me to revoking the server license and retrying. Worked fine. Unfortunately, now I have a situation where the Add button for a job only shows existing VMs. I have done a rescan of the vcenter server (twice) to no avail. If I go to the VM view and drill down to the cluster, the new VMs do not show up. The only other thing I can think of is to delete the vcenter server and re-add it, but that is a HUGE pain, because I would have to delete several jobs that use it.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Newly created VM does not show in the job wizard?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dan,

Can you add your vCenter Server via IP address and confirm that you have new VMs visible in the backup console? Do not delete your current vCenter Server.

Thanks!
danswartz
Veteran

Post by danswartz »

Hi, Vitaliy. Actually it was originally added with IP, so I re-added it with DNS name. If I go into the job wizard and click Add, if I drill down to the new server (e.g. the name), the new VM *does* show up. It does not show under the old server.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I would recommend contacting our technical team to review the rescan job log files. I'm not sure why new VMs do not show in that cluster, though can you do one more test case? Can you restore any tiny VM to that cluster and check if it is displayed or not?
danswartz
Veteran

Post by danswartz »

Well it seemed almost like the veeam DB was corrupt or something. I rolled back to a saved config from a week ago, and now all is well. Interesting...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Well...it's hard to say for sure, since "host uuid not found" error could also change something in your configuration. Glad that you're up and running now.
danswartz
Veteran

Post by danswartz »

Yeah, I kinda suspected that was throwing something into the mix. Thanks for the help!