Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

Slight bug? v8 seeding fails once, then works

Post by averylarry »

I'm changing a lot of my replication jobs due to adding a vCenter server, as well as changing to a backup job as the source.

In the process of doing this, I have to redefine the destination VM for the seeding. Each time I've done so, the next replication job immediately fails:

"Processing configuration Error: The name 'VM_replica' already exists." (Note that VM_replica is the actual name of the destination seed VM.)

The next time I run the job, with no configuration changes, it works as expected (recalculates the digests for the "new" seed).

Anyway -- I'm not starting a tech support case because it's not a big deal to just run the job twice, now that I know it works that way. And perhaps there's a good reason for the behavior (like it's a warning failure?). But in case it's a slight bug I thought I'd post it here. Or maybe others will run into the same thing.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Slight bug? v8 seeding fails once, then works

Post by veremin »

Hi, Ted, are you talking about seeding (a backup to recreate VM from) or mapping functionality (map a job to VM that already exists in DR site)? Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

As far as I understand, replica mapping is meant here.

Ted, the described behavior doesn't look expected, so if you could open a case and provide the log files, it would be much appreciated.
averylarry
Veteran

Post by averylarry »

Mapping.

I'll open a case, I suppose.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Once case's opened, please, provide its number here for the convenience of future readers. Thanks.
averylarry
Veteran

Post by averylarry » 1 person likes this post

Case # 00701967
averylarry
Veteran

Post by averylarry »

It appears that Veeam actually begins creating a new replica VM, despite the mapping configuration. There's a new folder created on the datastore and a VM.vmx file created. I'm guessing that it attempts to register the new VM, and fails because (surprise) another VM with the same name already exists. Somehow, though, on the next job run it finds/uses the correct existing VM -- and that leaves the new folder and the .vmx file orphaned.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Let's wait for what our engineer could say after reviewing the logs, they should clarify what's particularly is happening during both job runs.