VMware monitoring with HP Operations Manager
isabella
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: isabella

Installation Requirement

Post by isabella »

Hi Support,

I am using VM ware 3.x, 4.x and OM for Unix 8.x. For test nworks HP OpenView SPl, I have query on installation requirenment:

1. In OM server (HPUX), where can I download 'SPI Data Collector(DSI2DDF) version 2.22 or later'
2. Can Virtual Enterprise Monitor Server (VEM) and nworks installed in the same servers?
3. In VEM, 'coda version 7.21 or later', does this mean installed OVPA 5.x in VEM?

Thank you.

Regards,
Isabella
isabella
Novice

Re: Installation Requirement

Post by isabella »

Hi support,

Besides, I checked the 'HP OMU Components' need
- HP Reporter, MSI
- HP Performance manager 5.x

For this, is this for OM server? ( I am using HPUX, not windows) And seems no HP Reporter

Thank you.

Regards,
Isabella
arseny
Influencer
Full Name: Arseny Chernov

Post by arseny »

Hi Isabella,

Normally, OMU 8.x already has DSI2DDF, - you can check it by listing packages and searching for a 'SPI Data Collector' one. If you don't have it, please download the latest version HP can provide, or use this link - http://www.nworks.com/downloads/DSI2DDF ... .00.sdtape to get 02.24 version.

In our terminology, VEM is a server that has nworks Virtual Infrastructure Collector (VIC) and OM agent, comprising a data pipe. All collectors are controlled by central unit knows as nworks Management Ceter. Yes, you can install all components on the same Virtual Machine or physical server. Please, refer to installation guide for detailed steps - http://www.veeam.com/nworks_spi_for_vmw ... ide_pg.pdf

No, we do not support OVPA at all, we work with a regular Embedded Performance Component (EPC/CODA) in the Operations Agent. Just deploying Windows Server agent with DSI2DDF to your VEM would be enough.

HP Performance Manager can leverage graph templates that our solution would create on your OMU system, to allow visualization of performance counters. If you do not use HP Performance Manager, you can disregard this integration.

.msi file for HP Reporter is a package to populate the mentioned performance data-mining tool with reports about VMware objects (hypervisors, clusters, resource pools, virtual machines). Same here, - if you don't use HP Reporter, you may just disregard this integration.

If you use HP Performance Insight, there is a standalone Report Pack download available on our web-site to leverage collected metrics from VEMs for interactive drilling-down experience.

Please let us know if you have any questions about our solution.
Have a nice day!
Kind regards,
Arseny
isabella
Novice

Post by isabella »

Hi Arseny,

>>>> In our terminology, VEM is a server that has nworks Virtual Infrastructure Collector (VIC) and OM agent, comprising a data pipe. All collectors are controlled by central unit knows as nworks Management Ceter. Yes, you can install all components on the same Virtual Machine or physical server. Please, refer to installation guide for detailed steps - http://www.veeam.com/nworks_spi_for_vmw ... ide_pg.pdf

=> VEM is WIndows environment. I don't have "OM agent" for Window. Any function missing?

>>>> .msi file for HP Reporter is a package to populate the mentioned performance data-mining tool with reports about VMware objects (hypervisors, clusters, resource pools, virtual machines). Same here, - if you don't use HP Reporter, you may just disregard this integration.

=> As OM is in HPUX server, cannot install .msi, i think i will miss such information.

Thank you,
Regards,
Isabella
arseny
Influencer
Full Name: Arseny Chernov

Post by arseny »

Hi Isabella,

1) yes, VIC, nMC and nMC UI are all elements for Windows environment. You can easily deploy Windows agent from your OMU server to leverage our SPI for VMware full functionality. It is well-described in OMU documentation and our install guide.

2) HP Reporter is a Windows server also, that remotely polls OM and OVPI agents for data, and logs them into ODBC Backend (i.e. MSSQL/Oracle) for data-mining. If you do not have HP Reporter deployed in your environment, you can skip the Reports Installation step of install guide.

Please let me know if you need any reference on installing Windows agenets from OMU.
Have a great day!
Kind regards,
Arseny