Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Elmar
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Elmar

Inventory Tape Drive

Post by Elmar »

Dear All,

we have a VEEAM (v8) standard license to backup our VMWare enviroment.
Previously we used Backup Exec to export the VEEAM files to tape. After setting up a new backup server we wanted to stop using Backup Exec and let VEEAM export the files to tape.
We know there are some limitations in using tape in the standard version (no posibility in exporting repository's only files / no tracking on files which are copied to tape / ..).

The problem we have is that the drive is not running an inventory before backup. Now the job fails with the error 'tape not exchanged'. After we do a manual inventory of the drive the tape backup will start and finish without errors.
On the internet I found a PS script to do the inventory, but when I try this command's I get the error only Enterprise and higher.

Is there a way to make a tape job run without a manual inventory, without this functionality tape is worthless and we have to buy an update to Enterprice or a Backup Exec license.

Regards,

Elmar
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Inventory Tape Drive

Post by Dima P. »

Elmar,
Let’s start with the error you received. It is related to media after processing could not be placed in the original slot:
Now the job fails with the error 'tape not exchanged
This error could be fixed by the described registry key: Tape requires return to original slot , but it is already filled. Move tape manually, and retry operation
there a way to make a tape job run without a manual inventory, without this functionality tape is worthless
Yes there is no such functionality at the moment, but could you clarify why you need to inventory media before running tape job? I believe it is necessary only when you load a fresh portion of tape media to the library but since it is a manual operation any way and could happen sporadically there is no way to automate it. We are currently in discussions about automatic import on schedule feature so any input from you as a real user almost wanted. Thank you in advance!
Elmar
Novice

Post by Elmar »

Popov,

We have just a single streamer, so the tape is always in it's original slot there is only one.

The exact error we get is "Tape not exchanged. Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
If I do a manual inventroy on the drive before the backup, the jobs complete's normaly. If I don't do an inventory the drive keeps showing 'empty' and the jobs fails.

In the trail period I used a PS script to start an inventory for the drive and that worked. After importing our new v8 (Standard) license it all stopped working.

I don't want to do a manual inventroy I just want to change the tape at the end of the day so it makes a backup in over night.

Elmar
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

In the trail period I used a PS script to start an inventory for the drive and that worked. After importing our new v8 (Standard) license it all stopped working.
Can you provide the script you were using? Thanks.
Elmar
Novice

Post by Elmar »

I run the following command:

Code: Select all

asnp VeeamPPSnapin
Start-VBRTapeInventory -Library " [i]ID of Streamer [/i]"
The following error comes back:
Start-VBRTapeInventory : This functionality is available in the Enterprise (or higher) edition only.
Further investigation of the logfiles tell's me that the job has copied some data to the tape and after a while the error come's "tape not exchanged"
The tapes we are using are used last week and has to be overwritten. The media pool does not have a retention policy on it.

Elmar
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Elmar,
Sorry for the confusion, yes KB I advised does not apply to SA drives. However, QA told me that there is a private fix for your issue "Tape not exchanged. Object reference not set to an instance of an object." – so you can open a support case an request it .

About inventory before starting tape job - in order to automate the process you can do one of the following: Have all you existing media, moved to the specific media pool (which supposed to be a target for tape jobs in the question) or mark as free all the said media. To overwrite these tapes specify the necessary retention on the media pool.

I believe here is what happens now: you load the unrecognized (for Veeam) media into the drive and want backup to tape automatically use it, system knows nothing about this tape so it does nothing just not to harm existing data that may reside on the tape media.
Elmar
Novice

Post by Elmar »

What happens now is that we insert a tape that was used last week for the same VEEAM backup (same version / same job)
We have one media pool, Retention is set to "Do not protect data (cyclically....)
With this setting I expect that VEEAM will overwrite any tape in the streamer, or is there an other setting to make VEEAM overwrite's the tape ???

I will open a support case for the patch and will refer to this discussion.

Elmar
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for the clarification!
We have one media pool, Retention is set to "Do not protect data (cyclically....)
When creating the said media pool have you manually selected the scope of tapes or just used the 'Add tapes from Free media pool automatically...' option?
Elmar
Novice

Post by Elmar »

At first we used the tapes in combinatie with Symantec BE. When we tried to use the tapes with VEEAM it crashed.
I downloaded HP Tapetools and formatted all the tapes with TapeTools. After that I created the mediapool in VEEAM and named all the tapes and placed them in the media pool.

Regards,

Elmar
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Start-VBRTapeInventory : This functionality is available in the Enterprise (or higher) edition only.
The unnecessary license check has been added to some of tape commandlets. We're aware of this situation, and going to fix it in the first patch. Thanks.
Elmar
Novice

Post by Elmar »

The unnecessary license check has been added to some of tape commandlets. We're aware of this situation, and going to fix it in the first patch.
Thanks for the reply, it looks like we are going to get this all working :D
Is there an expected time line for this patch ??

I hope we can find a solution for the append / overwrite problem and we are happy.

Elmar
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

It should be released soon. Keep an eye on weekly forum digest and you won't miss any information regarding patch#1 availability. Thanks.
Elmar
Novice

Post by Elmar »

Will the problem of the tape inventory, for witch I have to open a support request to get the hot fix, incorperated in this comming patch ?
Than I will wait for the patch, I don't like this kind of hot fixes if a little wait will give me a 'normal' patch.

Elmar
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Elmar,
Yes, we will have this "Tape not exchanged. Object reference not set to an instance of an object." error covered.

Edit: ETA for the patch is 1 week.
Elmar
Novice

Post by Elmar »

Thanks for all the reply's

I will wait for the patch and hope this solve's my issue's. Will this patch also address the other issue (not overwriting the tape but appanding data ?) or is there something wrong in the media pool ?

Regards,

Elmar
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You mean you have "Do not protect data (cyclically....)" settings configured on the media pool, and, meanwhile, data isn't overwritten, but rather appended? What mediaset settings are configured on the media pool? Thanks.
Elmar
Novice

Post by Elmar »

I made some screenshots, but I don't see an option to attacht files.

Retention settings are on:
Do not protect data (Cyclically overwrite ..)

Media set options are on:
Do not create, always ... (maby this is the wrong setting ??)

Regards,

Elmar
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Try "Create a new media set for every backup session", instead; should solve the issue. Thanks.