Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
kevin_lang
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Lang

EndPoint performing full backups every day

Post by kevin_lang »

I have two machines with Veeam Endpont Backup Beta installed. The first machine has a 5TB USB 3.0 external drive connected to it and I am doing an Entire Computer backup to the USB drive. The first backup was a full backup as I expected which was about 500GB. Each day after that the backups have been between 3GB and 5GB for the past days as expected for the changed blocks. The problem is on the second computer where I tried something different. I created a volume on my SAN and setup the iSCSI connector on the PC and connected to the volume. I then formatted the volume and assigned a drive letter to it. When I tried to configure the backup for the Entire Computer, it would not let me and gave me a warning that I could not do the Entire Computer backup to a local drive. So what I did was created a share on the volume and then setup the destination to be mypc\share and it allowed me to do the Entire Computer backup to the share. The first backup was a full backup as expected which was about 158GB. The problem with this computer is that each day after that, it is doing another full backup and the size increase about 3GB each day. So the second day, the backup size was 164Gb, the third was 167GB, the fourth was 171GB and the fifth was 174GB. I assume this is unexpected behavior.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: EndPoint performing full backups every day

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Kevin,
Thank you for the interesting case.

First could you check the backup location and confirm that it is a new full (.vbk) file and not increment (.vib)? What I am thinking of – you actually backup entire computer (with the iscsi mounted volume) inside this mounted volume, so after the first full back up the increment is growing to the size of this newly created full backup due the fact that backup location is not excluded from processing.
kevin_lang
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Lang

Post by kevin_lang »

You are correct. I was just looking at the size in the Control Panel GUI and not the actual backup files. The first backup is a .vbk and the others are .vib. So when I did the Entire Computer backup, it included the iSCSI volume in the job which means it was backing up my backup files. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought I had found something that would get me a Surface Pro!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Kevin,
Thank you! Feel free to continue testing - I guess (though I am not sure) there should be at list a couple of well hidden bugs our QA guys missed.