Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 61 times

Files to tape job question ...

Post by Didi7 »

Hello,

when I use a special tape media pool for incremental jobs and media in this pool is not protected, is the second incremental job appended or is the tape overwritten?

Thanks,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Files to tape job question ...

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Didi7,
Please, check your media pool and media set settings. If you do not want you media to be overwritten for media set, use 'Do not create, continue using the current media set' and for retention, you need to use either 'Protect data for (time interval)' or 'Never overwrite data'

For more details on the said options here is a link to the online help center Managing Tape Media Thank you.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Good to know.

Thanks,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Another question still unanswered to me ...

Let's assume, I schedule 2 files to tape jobs, the first one should backup 1TB to media pool 'Veeam1' and starts at 08:00pm, the second one should backup 1TB to media pool 'Veeam2' and starts at 08:30pm. If the first job takes more than 30 minutes, will the 2nd one, which is scheduled to run at 08:30pm, try to start and cancel the job, because resources are in use or will it wait and if yes, how long?

I haven't found an option (like a backup window) in files to tape jobs. The possibility to schedule tape jobs to run after a disk job or a tape job would solve the problem or maybe an option for a backup window range, in which a possible other files to tape job waits till resources are free an starts with its own job, as long as the backup window range has not exceeded.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If the first job takes more than 30 minutes, will the 2nd one, which is scheduled to run at 08:30pm, try to start and cancel the job, because resources are in use or will it wait and if yes, how long?
The locked files will be skipped from processing and will be copied during the next run. Thus, it's recommended to schedule files to tape jobs thoroughly in order to avoid overlapping.

Additionally, you can execute both jobs via the PS script. Being scheduled via Windows Scheduler the script will execute the second job only when the first one finishes.

Thanks.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

v.Eremin wrote: The locked files will be skipped from processing and will be copied during the next run. Thus, it's recommended to schedule files to tape jobs thoroughly in order to avoid overlapping.

Additionally, you can execute both jobs via the PS script. Being scheduled via Windows Scheduler the script will execute the second job only when the first one finishes.

Thanks.
Ok, in this case, I see more need for a graphical option to schedule the 2nd files to tape job after the first one, as can be done in disk jobs.

I use an HP library with only one tape drive. What would happen here, if the next files to tape job is ready to run? Is the 2nd files to tape job cancelled?

Regards,
Didi7
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

In this case, the second job will wait patiently for the drive availability. Thanks.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Good to know, but there is no time window available that could stop the file to tape job, as in disk jobs.

Regards,
Didi7
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

No, that option doesn't exist in case of files to tape job. But may I ask you why you need it? I'm wondering since files to tape job will be executed one by one based on drive's availability, and that seems to be exactly what you're looking for. Thanks.