Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
roms
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rachman Sosounov

Compression - Best Practices

Post by roms »

1. Backup to tape: where better to do compression, use the built-in hardware compression on LTO-6 tape or directly in the backup to disk job?
While I use compression on the LTO-6, compresses VBK 2.92TB to 2.3 on the tape.

2. Backup copy job to Windows server 2012 deduplicated disk: whether or not to include the compression? Compression do not spoil dedup rate?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Compression - Best Practices

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Rachman,
1. If you have built-in hardware compression, you can disable compression in your jobs to speed them up.
2. Enabled compression decreases deduplication rate. Note, there are several levels of compression to choose between faster backup jobs vs. smaller backup files.
Thanks.
roms
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rachman Sosounov

Post by roms »

My goal is to achieve in both cases, higher compression ratio.
Will there be some significant gains in compression using Veeam High/Extreme compression level compared to LTO hardware compression?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Extreme compression rate saves just about 2-3% of space over High compression at the expense of double CPU load on the server responsible for compression, not taking into account your hardware compression. In my opinion, it`s not significant.
However, if you wish you can change compression settings for existing backup jobs to see what impact it will give in practice. New settings will not have any effect on previously created backup files in the backup chain. They will be applied to new backup files created after the settings were changed.
Thanks.