Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
allanbak
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Allan Bak

Choose Interface for backup data transfer

Post by allanbak »

Hi

I am completly new to Veeam and is trying to design at backup setup.

I have a VMware invironment with multiple Hosts and one Veeam backup server with local storage.

I have 2 networks

Network 1. 192.168.5.x via 1Gbit interfaces. This is the network that Vcenter and hosts ar managed on. eg. Vcenter 192.168.5.100, esxi hosts 192.168.5.10,11,12 etc.
Network 2. 192.160.10.x via 10Gbit interfaces. This is today used for ISCSI network, All hosts and Veeam backup servers have a interface on this network. Vcenter does not have a interface or IP on this network.

In Veeam backup I have connected to host servers via Vcenter (192.168.5.100).
What I need is for the backup data to be transfered via the 10Gbit net (192.168.10.x) The data is now transfered via the 1Gbit network (VM management network, 192.168.5.x)

Is it possible or do I need to redesign the VMware management network to be on the 10Gbit net for this to work?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Choose Interface for backup data transfer

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Allan,

VM backup data is retrieved by a proxy component and if you want to pull data via 10Gbit interface your ESXi hosts should be added to the Veeam backup console via these interfaces.

Here is a similar topic for further reading, should be helpful > Backup / Replication Desgin

Thanks!
allanbak
Lurker
Full Name: Allan Bak

Post by allanbak »

Hi Vitalliy

I am not authorized to open that link it seems.
But what I understand for what you are writing, then I need the 10Gbit network to be a ESXi management network to ensure that I tranfer data via the 10Gbit interface?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Sorry, I have now posted a proper link to the topic.

You can do that, yes, and leave your current setup. However, if you configure routing tables on the backup server (for example, via hosts file) which also a proxy server to connect via 10Gbit network interface it should also work.
florian.meier
Service Provider

Post by florian.meier »

sorry still some things are unclear for me. i draw a picture to show you what i want exactly:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw_VqN ... sp=sharing

I try to reach Network Mode trough VLAN100 but as you can see, vsphere server and also vcloud director is only attached to management interfaces (1gb) of my networks.
Is it possible to handle the traffic over maybe this tool http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... twork.html to handle the traffic trought right interface?
thank you.
verre
Enthusiast
Full Name: Valentino Erre

[MERGED] Network Transport Mode....which network?

Post by verre »

Hi everybody, I'm setting-up a Proxy in Network Access mode, but I don't want to use the 1Gb network which is already used by esx-vcenter management...indeed I've made a new vmk portgroup (with a 10Gb uplink) on my ESX server and I want to use the former for management-vadp communication between proxy and esx, and the latter for gathering the backup data. How can I do it?
verre
Enthusiast
Full Name: Valentino Erre

Post by verre »

Maybe this could be helpful to solve our similar need, but I don't understand well how...

http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... twork.html
http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... tling.html