Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
masonit
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Maso

Export vm data from job

Post by masonit »

Hi

I wonder if it is possible to export a specific vms data from a backup job. Place it on other storage than the backup storage and then just import it when there is a need for it.

\Masonit
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Export vm data from job

Post by foggy »

You can backup copy that specific VM into a separate VBK.
masonit
Service Provider

Post by masonit »

foggy wrote:You can backup copy that specific VM into a separate VBK.
Doesn't backup copy only choose the latest restore point?

\Masonit
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, it does. Do you need to save some earlier VM's state, from a previous restore point?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you want to backup any historical point in time, you can use instant VM recovery feature. Pull the VM out of the backup (without doing full restore) and then use VeeamZIP or backup job to create a backup file for a specific VM.
masonit
Service Provider

Post by masonit »

foggy wrote:Yes, it does. Do you need to save some earlier VM's state, from a previous restore point?
In this case we have had some problem with a vm and the vm had to be recreated in vmware. After that Veeam think it is a new vm and runs a full backup. Now there is 2 full backups and there inc chains (reverse inc) of the same vm name in the job. This takes twice the amount of storage. I would like to export the data of the older backup chain of the vm. Older backup chain is 4 restore points. I would like to export them all for retention purpose.

\Masonit
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I don't think there are other workaround besides those that are stated above. Of course, you can simply copy those restore points to the required location, but that doesn't seem to answer your space conservative requirements. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

masonit wrote:I would like to export the data of the older backup chain of the vm. Older backup chain is 4 restore points. I would like to export them all for retention purpose.
In this case I would just move the entire older chain to some other location. Keep in mind though, that corresponding records will still be displayed in the UI until wiped out according to retention settings.