Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
vikas.gawde
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: vikas gawde

Feature Request- Automatic backup before software install

Post by vikas.gawde »

Recently we faced an issue where VM operating system crashed after patch installation from application team. We tried with windows recovery tools, but OS did not recovered & finally we had to format C drive after taking required backup. So we would like to have a feature where "veeam endpint backup" initiates automatic incremental backup of system partition , when user is trying to install any software or patch which is going to change system files. so if the system crashes after this , we can restore it from backup & it will save a lot of time. We have option of taking snapshot of VM before any such activity, but that has dependency on vmware admin team & so is not feasible.so we will like to automate this process & will be great if Veeam adds this feature.

Thanks & regards,
Vikas
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request- Automatic backup before software instal

Post by Dima P. »

Vikas,
The problem I see is that updates or files changes happen very sporadically. Also once the software update started you cannot somehow pause it (same for file changes) and Endpoint needs to be triggered before such events.
vikas.gawde
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: vikas gawde

Post by vikas.gawde »

Hi Dmitry,

Yes, that is what my suggestion is. when user ( in this case application team ) tries to install anything on system, they should get notification from Veaam endpoint that this is going to change system files & backup is recommended and they will have option to select either yes or no for backup. If they select yes , veeam endpoint should take incremental backup ( as it will be quicker )of system partition, which can be used for restore in case of system crash.

Reagrds,
Vikas
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Vikas,

While I agree that it could be critical, but the application team can already do the backups manually before pushing the updates, right? My point is that this could be very annoying message for regular users, if Windows updates are scheduled to be installed every 1-3 days.

Thanks!