Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Riyaz.Hussain
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Riyaz Hussain

Feature Request – Include and or Exclude File Type Extension

Post by Riyaz.Hussain » 1 person likes this post

As this product is free hence most of the business users and predominantly the home users would use it. Most of them will have loads of music and movie files which some may not prefer to backup, just like me.

If a Include and or Exclude File Type Extensions Feature is available then it would considerably reduce the backup size as well as the backup window. I guess the current way to address this requirement would be to organize the folders by the end-users itself, however this kind of a feature may help a lot of people to optimize their backups with ease.
Regards
Riyaz Hussain
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature Request – Include and or Exclude File Type Exten

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Include or exclude file types extension feature is available for the File Level backup mode. Thanks!
haddenmart
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by haddenmart »

It would also be helpful to designate excluded file types during a full backup. it is my understanding this is already done for other files types such as tmp.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

There are indeed already some exclusions such as temp, recycle bin, page file... What else would you like to see as exclusion @haddenmart, or do you really want to have an option?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

haddenmart wrote:It would also be helpful to designate excluded file types during a full backup.
Again, just as Vitaly stated, you can do that by selecting File-level backup option.

Entire computer option means exactly what it says: entire computer with predefined exclusion list (easiest for inexperienced users - no chance to screw up, best default for the auto-configuration option, etc). Advanced users should use advanced backup mode - this one provides ability to exclude files, while still producing an image-level backup you can perform bare metal recovery from (as long as you tick Operating System check box in the selection).

Thanks!
cta71
Lurker
Full Name: Charles Anderson

[MERGED] Feature Request - exclude folder from full backup

Post by cta71 » 1 person likes this post

Would be good to be able to exclude particular folders/patterns from the full computer backup, eg, Movies, Music or any other potentially large folders that may not need to be backed up at all.

Thanks
Charles
hvbuel
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Harald van Buel

Re: Feature Request - exclude folder from full computer back

Post by hvbuel »

Second !
further001
Novice
Full Name: Brent

Post by further001 »

so my backups are failing on temporary internet files and temp at the file level backup. I added them as excludes already... any suggestions? Do I need to add * before and after?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Brent,
Just to clarify what folders or volumes have you selected as a source for file level backup? Thank you.
further001
Novice
Full Name: Brent

Post by further001 »

I selected the c:\users folder for file level backup and excluded temp and temporary internet files
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Check me please:
- You used file level backup mode
- Selected C:\Users as a source
- Deselected temp and temporary internet files in the file tree (or you added them to exclusion list in the file filters?)
- Backup failed
so my backups are failing on temporary internet files
By the way is there any specific error you receive (you can right click the error in the session log copyand paste it here)?
ciarpame
Novice
Full Name: Franco Fassio

Post by ciarpame »

I strongly second this request.
Typical users stores big video and audio files on the C drive. Having an option to exclude such files by extension or by path would be great in order to get much smaller backup files.

By the way, thank you very much for this great free backup software.
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Post by ninjaburn81 » 1 person likes this post

I'm on the opposite side this this issue: If I want to go 'simple' and grab everything of consequence, I am going to select 'Entire Computer' (or perhaps Volume) and run with it. If I want to get granular, File Level is my 'Advanced' option that gives me some exclude capabilities. If sounds like some on this thread are already using it that way, so trying to do that from the 'Entire Computer' level seems a bit off. It would be rather difficult to select Entire Computer, then try to ignore ALL .tmp files from that image. (And frankly, may have unintended consequences.) FLR though, that is what it is meant to do, since by it's nature you are grabbing specific files/folders.

Just my two cents.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thank you Adam. This is exactly what we tried to achieve by splitting the backup modes into Entire PC, Volume and File level options.
justingoldberg
Influencer
Full Name: Justin Goldberg

Post by justingoldberg »

ninjaburn81 wrote:I'm on the opposite side this this issue: If I want to go 'simple' and grab everything of consequence, I am going to select 'Entire Computer' (or perhaps Volume) and run with it. If I want to get granular, File Level is my 'Advanced' option that gives me some exclude capabilities. If sounds like some on this thread are already using it that way, so trying to do that from the 'Entire Computer' level seems a bit off. It would be rather difficult to select Entire Computer, then try to ignore ALL .tmp files from that image. (And frankly, may have unintended consequences.) FLR though, that is what it is meant to do, since by it's nature you are grabbing specific files/folders.
I guess a solution would be to use partition your drive into boot/c and data/d and then do a file/partition backup on your data/d drive (movies and music, downloads etc) folders. The only issue I see here is, can I do a BMR backup and only backup the c: system drive and the recovery partition?

This is what we normally do on your sql servers at work. We put the ms sql .bak files on a dedicated partition every night, and every night we do a full image to tape, but we image the C Drive twice a week.
--
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Justin,

Yes, what you are referring to is what we call Hybrid backup. Yes you can do BMR for the C: and recovery partition. It is (almost) the same procedure as for the entire PC BMR recovery, with the difference you need to tell (in the recovery media) what partitions you want to recover.

It is a technique (or solution) that many people use in protecting servers / desktops / laptops... with a C: drive and a D: (data) drive

Cheers

Mike
kenoboy
Lurker
Full Name: Kevin Beadle

Post by kenoboy »

How about being able to ignore warnings on certain things? I have several computers using endpoint and i'm performing a complete system backup, problem is it's warning me about an HP system partition used for restore that's almost full. I would love the ability to ignore this message. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, these messages should be ignored by default > Processing finished with warnings...