Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
integrated Systems
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Walker

Backups fail periodically

Post by integrated Systems »

I have 10 Virtual Servers that I use Veeam to backup to a NFS enabled NAS device. I have configured Veeam to backup each Virtual server as a separate backup job. ie.. "Backup job 1" backs up Server1 and "Backup job 2" backs up Server2, "Backup job 3" backs up Server3, etc.. The only backup job that is actually scheduled is "Backup Job1" which then calls 'Backup Job 2" and then when "Backup Job 2" completes it calls "Backup Job 3" using the "Post Job" command
All of the Backup Jobs are set to 6 retention points and occasionally I get the error listed below. It is not always the same Backup job that fails nor is it always the same day of the week that it fails. When I go to look for the file specified it is actually gone, but I would assume that if it is a old retention point and thus no longer needed that it would just notify me or just move on and finish the job successfully instead of reporting "error" and not completing the job. The reason that this is an issue besides that I get an "error" email, is that because I have one job calling the next when it is completed and when the job fails because it can't delete a file that doesn't exist any longer it does not call the next backup job and thus the remaining servers are not backed up.

This is the message in the log.... Checking retention policy... Delete storage "/vmfs/volumes/NetgearNAS1/03_CMG-DC02-To-NetgearNAS12010-02-24T193514.vbk" failed Failed to delete file /vmfs/volumes/NetgearNAS1/03_CMG-DC02-To-NetgearNAS12010-02-24T193514.vbk /bin/rm: cannot remove `/vmfs/volumes/NetgearNAS1/03_CMG-DC02-To-NetgearNAS12010-02-24T193514.vbk': No such file or directory

Why is this happening and how can I stop it? or at least how can I ensure that the next job is called even if the prior job fails.

Thanks for your help

Mike
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backups fail periodically

Post by Gostev »

Hello Mike, this looks like an issue documented in the Release Notes for the latest release, under Known Issues?
• Due to NFS implementation specifics on certain NFS storage, job may fail with rollback file deletion errors. Despite the error status, backups and replicas are created successfully, and required VRB files are deleted properly according to the retention policy. If you are experiencing this issue, please contact Veeam support to obtain registry mod enabling jobs to ignore this error.
integrated Systems
Influencer

Thank you, I will contact support..

Mike
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Mike, also please note that this registry mod will only work with 4.1.1 or later.
integrated Systems
Influencer

Hello,

This registry change did not fix my issue. I made the change and rebooted and have had the exact same issue since.

The DWORD property ForceCreateMissingVBK = 1 needs to be created in the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and FastSCP” registry key.

Any other ideas for me? Thanks in advance

Mike
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

integrated Systems wrote:The DWORD property ForceCreateMissingVBK = 1 needs to be created in the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and FastSCP” registry key.
This registry key has nothing to deal with the issue mentioned above... this one is for rotated media support. Please request the correct registry mod for your issue referencing the release notes part I quoted above... or let me know your support case number.
integrated Systems
Influencer

Hello,

ID#521457

Thanks