Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
neroxin
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Martin Rovnak

Veeam Backup droping down MySQL

Post by neroxin »

We are using Veeam backup for a virtual machine where Apache, Tomcat and MySQL running, sometimes when Veeam backup runs, MySQL service is stoped. Veeam just simply stops the database. Anybody has idea why this happens?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Re: Veeam Backup droping down MySQL

Post by Gostev »

I can tell you for sure that Veeam does not do that - simply because we do not interact with Linux guests anyhow. This may be side effect of VMware snapshot creation, so try disabling VMware Tools quiescence in the advanced job settings.

I would also advise using pre-freeze and post-thaw VMware scripts for performing hot backups of transactional applications (like databases) on Linux for transactionally-consistent backups (unlike crash-consistent you are getting today). You can find some existing threads on this forum talking about proper DB backups on Linux. We also have a technical white paper devoted solely to MySQL backups and talking about a number of options and providing script examples. You can request this WP through your sales representative.
Rumple
Service Provider
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Mark Hodges

Re: Veeam Backup droping down MySQL

Post by Rumple »

Just to reinforce that, I've seen the same problem with Symantec Backup Exec and snapshots...oracle Db would go down after applying snap. I had to remove the vmware tools File system driver to stop it from happening.