Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
dimitar.stoyanov
Certified Trainer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dimitar Stoyanov

Feature Requests

Post by dimitar.stoyanov »

Hi everyone,

I want to share my point of view for the Endpoint Backup.

First of all … It Just works! :)

But… (There is always But…) :)

When I am reading the comments for the feature requests and the answers, I notice that there is a situation in which you want to make the product better adding new features, but at the same time you want to keep the simplicity just to make every user to be able to work with it. – Great! But I think that this is hard to be produced, just because for some user even these functionalities that are available now are advanced…
So in this line of thinking, It will be useful if there is an option for example when install the product … to select “For beginners” – “just a backups and restores for your device” or “For advanced users” – “Manage and monitor your backup data”. Or the other way is to make the “advanced” options visible when you chose “advanced mode” somewhere in the UI as it is in the BR.

So in this situation you can put all the cool but complex features in “Advanced mode”.
- Multi jobs – I think that this is must have options, especially when you have options for Volume backups – one chain…One for all files and another one for the most important files.
- Compression, Deduplication
- Email reports
- And a lot of the good ideas from the forum :)

Other minor requests from me are
– Restore button in the main menu or somewhere (not only in the taskbar – the idea is when you open the control panel, why you have to search for functionality on some other place?)
-Import option (to restore backups from my other devices). I know that there is a way to make a restore from “external files” …if I click on the file of course, but still why you have to make the things from different places? :) And yes, if I click “Restore” from the taskbar I can restore the “external” backups but I have to make a step back when the wizard is opened (which was not so intuitive for me – it is not a bug, but a lot of users may miss that options and to think that it can’t do it at all).

P.S. Sorry for my long post :)

Regards,
Dimitar
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Feature Requests

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Dimitar,
Thank you!
So in this line of thinking, It will be useful if there is an option for example when install the product … to select “For beginners”
We wanted to address that during setup. Once end user has a USB drive and plugs it in on the certain step of the wizard Endpoint will configure the Entire PC backup job. The only thing user have to do is keep the USB plugged in or plug it in on specific time.
Restore button in the main menu or somewhere
You can launch it from the tray > right click the icon and select restore option you need (either files or volumes)
Import option (to restore backups from my other devices)
You can do that. Just double click the .vbk or .vbm backup file on the machine with the Endpoint installed, or go to the restore wizard and hit browse.
dimitar.stoyanov
Certified Trainer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dimitar Stoyanov

Re: Feature Requests

Post by dimitar.stoyanov »

Hi Dimitry,
We wanted to address that during setup. Once end user has a USB drive and plugs it in on the certain step of the wizard Endpoint will configure the Entire PC backup job. The only thing user have to do is keep the USB plugged in or plug it in on specific time.
OK. But what about the advanced features? The scenario you talk about can be used as "quick backup" or something like that, and still the options "For beginners" and "Advanced" will be applicable.

For the rest of your comments, I am sure that you have read that I am aware that these functionality can be done in different way. I talked for the user experience. I believe that your benefits from this forum is not only the ideas for new features but also the improvements for the existings.

P.S. I think that because of the same topic's name as the Markus's topic, all the posts are merged. Is it possible to split them, because mine starts from the end of the Markus's.

jon.f
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Feature Requests

Post by jon.f »

+1 for multiple jobs