Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
RayB
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ray

Veeam Off-Host Backup Proxy

Post by RayB »

Hi all, new to Veeam but so far liking it a lot. I just setup 3 - stand alone Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 hosts, that host a couple windows vm's and quite a few Linux CentOS vm's. I have been running a trial of Veeam B&R with no issue from my Win 8.1 desktop. The repository is a Linux CentOS system, which is a separate physical server. Everything is in the same rack and the same switch/vlan/subnet. We purchased Veeam and I loaded it on a windows VM. On the first run it consumed way too much processor power and made a mess of things.

I thought I could easily setup a off-host backup proxy on a separate physical server running Hyper-V Server 2012 R2, but this is much more difficult than I thought. I have played with lots of settings, have done a lot of reading & searching, and even have a support case open (00708599). With all the playing I have had numerous types of failures from a "There is no FIB [summary.xml}" to the current error of "There is no hardware provider for off-host backup detected. Snapshot failover is disabled"

The one thing I have read is the off-host backup proxy needs access to the repository. With my off-host proxy being Hyper-V server 2012 R2 and the repository being Linux just what type of access is needed? The other Hyper-V hosts have access to the Linux repository through Veeam B&R, does this have to be setup separately? Is there anything else I may be missing?

Thanks in advance!
-Ray
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Off-Host Backup Proxy

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ray,

The off-host proxy server needs access to your repository, because it will be writing data to this server. Also off-host proxy needs to have hardware VSS provider (from your SAN vendor) installed, as well as all production LUNs (storage) visible in the disk management console.

Can you please clarify what is your current issue with this configuration?

Thanks!
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden »

how is your storage setup ? you need hardware VSS to be available to use offhost proxy.
RayB
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ray

Post by RayB »

Our Storage/SAN is just a CentOS 5.9 Linux server we built so there is no SAN software or LUN's. We currently use this for backing up a QNAP using rsync, so we were going to backup the Hyper-V VM's here too. If I am understanding right, I need hardware vss on the storage? If so I can try getting Samba installed, from what I have read this does Shadow Copy services for Linux.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Off-host proxy is only available for shared storage (SAN). VSS hardware provider should be installed to make it work.