Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Paardekooper
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Paardekooper

ESXI IP Change

Post by Paardekooper »

Hello,

we had a working replica scenario between two esxi server. Two weeks ago we've moved one esxi offsite and had to change the ip adres. We then add the esxi server to Veeam with the new ip adres. In the existing jobs we've changed the destination in the hope that it would pick up the replicates that are already there.
This is not the case as the jobs runs full instead of incremental. How can we use the existing replicates there?

Regards,

Paardekooper
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: ESXI IP Change

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Paardekooper,

Could you please clarify if you are adding ESX(i) hosts by ip address or by a hostname? Do you have two ip addresses presented for the same host in the Veeam console? If yes, after changing destination at advanced job settings, you should see incremental pass running and not the full one.

If you were adding ESXi hosts by ip address and have already removed the original ip from the console, you should perform a replication job from scratch.

On the other hand, in case you add ESX(i) host by hostname you shouldn't do reconfigure anything at all (even if you moved the host to another site or changed it's ip address).

Thank you!
Paardekooper
Novice

Post by Paardekooper »

Hi,

we've added the host by ip. So now there are there servers listed by ip. The source (wich hasn't changed), the old ip of the target and the new ip of the target.
I have just started a replication job after I hav changed the ip in the job. When I did this Veeam asked me to unregister the vm on the old ip and register it on the new ip. It is now running so I will keep you posted.

thanks
Paardekooper
Novice

Post by Paardekooper »

Hi,

the thing we've tried from our last post failed. Again Veeam fully replicated the vm instead of the changes.
So we've deleted everything on the targer and started from scratch. We've made a new replica job with initial replication over removable storage. We did not put a schedule in the task. When it was finished we went to the other site, followed the instructions in de readme.txt from the removable storage. When it was finished with the copy we've opened properties from the job so we could edit the schedule but before we could get there we had to turn initial replication to removable storage off because the drive was at the target. When we editted the schedule and ran the job it again performed a full replication instead of applieng the changes. What do we do wrong. when both servers where on this site the second run after the initial run took only 5 minutes.

thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Could you tell us what connection link do you have between your main site and the DR one? What makes you think it is doing a full replica once again? Do you see any VRB files created at the destination target after you run your job for the second time? If you use ESX(i) 4 and have followed all the instructions stated in readme.txt correcty please contact our support by providing all the job logs for investiagtion.

Thank you!
Paardekooper
Novice

Post by Paardekooper »

Hi,

we're using a fiber connection 50MB. On the removable storage were three servers. With two of them I took the steps stated in my post.
With the last one I just clicked start job without editing the properties and it runs good. It runs at 14MB/s while the two other servers which are like 4 times smaller in size ran at 2 MB/s and took 2,5 hours.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Have you had a chance to check VRB files after you run the job for the second time? Are those created? If yes, that means that your second run was incremental, and we face a perfomance issue in your case.