Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

Check for proxy and repository availabilty

Post by Peejay62 »

Hi,

Yesterday morning I discovered that a V7 B&R server actually had frozen. I had a jobqueue with jobs doing nothing (anymore) or waiting for infrastructure resources. It took me some time to figure out what was causing this. I turned out to be a (physical) proxy / repository windows server that wasn't responding anymore. It could still be pinged and that was it. It didn't accepted a logon and the storage couldn't be reached either (tried UNC). Nothing on the VBR system pointed that way though. The system had been in that state for more then 8 hours then. I think it got into some kind of deadlock because it assigned resources from that proxy and that couldn't be realized. To be honest, I didn't check repositories from the menu, maybe there has been some notification on the issue. The proxy view didn't indicate any error.

It will make sense to built in some better mechanism that checks the health of a proxy and/or repository and in case of suspected error take some action, for example send an email or a trap about that situation or auto-disable a proxy in case of error. A simple ping isn't enough I noticed, I monitor the proxies by means of a ping, that didn't disclose this error though.
I don't know if this was a very rare situation I have gotten into, but maybe it is worth checking into it and even try to reproduce. I can imagine that people tend to let their backup systems run unattended relying on the tool doing the job. consider this as an improvement request, adding even more quality to your great product,

Thanks,Peter
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Check for proxy and repository availabilty

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Peejay62 wrote:It will make sense to built in some better mechanism that checks the health of a proxy and/or repository and in case of suspected error take some action, for example send an email or a trap about that situation or auto-disable a proxy in case of error. A simple ping isn't enough I noticed, I monitor the proxies by means of a ping, that didn't disclose this error though.
Veeam ONE (part of Veeam Availability Suite and Veeam Essentials) does provide this exact capability.
Peejay62 wrote:I don't know if this was a very rare situation I have gotten into, but maybe it is worth checking into it and even try to reproduce. I can imagine that people tend to let their backup systems run unattended relying on the tool doing the job.t
Fully agree, this is exactly why we consider Complete Visibility (including one of backup infrastructure itself) to be the essential part of achieving data center availability.