Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
RWeiss
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Backup Copy Job Clarification

Post by RWeiss »

We would like to create a (bi-) weekly copy of the last (synthetic) full backup in our forward incremental backup chain. We use encrypted RDX drives as targets for the backup copy and rotate them weekly.
Now, the first issue I have is that I can only do X copies every day. I would like a copy every week. I circumvented this by scheduling the backup to only run on one day of the week. It seems that these settings only make sense if you backup your data multiple times a day.
The second issue I have is that the Backup Copy Job runs continuously. This is an issue because we use encrypted, rotating media. As soon as we want to switch a drive, we get failure messages every minute until Veeam is able to see the drive again. I realize that this is probably intended for copy jobs to an always available DR site but it is not really suitable in our case it seems.

Am I configuring the backup job incorrectly or is this simply not the right function in my scenario?

Basically what I want is a job that runs once a week on a specific time that makes a copy of the last full backup (or if necessary, generate a full backup from the last incremental backups). What would be the best way to achieve this (which does not create unnecessary load)? I couly probably just set up a robocopy job, but it would have been nice to be able to manage it directly in Veeam B&R.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy Job Clarification

Post by foggy »

RWeiss wrote:Now, the first issue I have is that I can only do X copies every day. I would like a copy every week. I circumvented this by scheduling the backup to only run on one day of the week. It seems that these settings only make sense if you backup your data multiple times a day.
You can set the 'Copy every' interval to any required number of days (7 or 14, in your case) and the backup copy job will create one restore point per each specified interval.
RWeiss wrote:The second issue I have is that the Backup Copy Job runs continuously. This is an issue because we use encrypted, rotating media. As soon as we want to switch a drive, we get failure messages every minute until Veeam is able to see the drive again. I realize that this is probably intended for copy jobs to an always available DR site but it is not really suitable in our case it seems.
Have you configured a backup repository to use rotated drives?
RWeiss wrote:Basically what I want is a job that runs once a week on a specific time that makes a copy of the last full backup (or if necessary, generate a full backup from the last incremental backups).
Actually, backup copy does not simply copy backup files created by the corresponding backup job, but rather synthetically creates restore points on target repository using data available in the source repository, copying the latest VM state during each synchronization interval.