Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
alexgerszo
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alejandro Gerszonowitz

Replication on ESXi ends with connection limit exceeded

Post by alexgerszo »

Hi,
We installed Veeam Backup & Replication 4.1 on a test environment and we are trying to replicate a virtual machine between 2 ESXi 4.0 Update 1.
If we replicate a small VM there's no problem but as soon as we try to replicate a bigger one the process ends with this message:

Replicating file "[Datastore1] localhost.localdomain/localhost.localdomain-flat.vmdk" BackupFile failed Client error: Connection limit is exceeded for replica host "192.168.xxx.xxx". Wait until concurrent operations involving this host complete, then try again. Server error: End of file

After copying 254GB out of 339GB.

Is there any specific settings we should change to make it work? Any ideas? any clues?

Any help will be appreciated.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Replication on ESXi ends with connection limit exceeded

Post by Gostev »

Alejandro, please update Veeam Backup to the latest version, this should help.
alexgerszo
Novice

Post by alexgerszo »

Thanks for your prompt response.
We are actually using version 4.1.1 build 105 that is supposed to be the last available.

Any other that is not online?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, this is last one - so I guess your issue is different than the one 4.1.1 fixes. Judging I would say the issue has nothing to deal with VM size, and really is due to too many applications trying to connect to this hosts at the same time. Or, are you saying the VM always fails at 254GB?

In any case, we would need full logs would help to confirm what the issue is for sure, so it would be best if you open a support case for this with our technical support.
alexgerszo
Novice

Post by alexgerszo »

You are right. Always fails at 254GB, and besides Veeam theres nothing else connected to the VM or ESXi and the VM is off.
Just trying to copy the files.
If there's no choice I will open a support ticket.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Alejandro, yes in that case please open a support case. We are interested to take a look what is causing this.
murda
Enthusiast
Full Name: murda

Post by murda »

What was the fix? I have the same issue.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Both, vCenter server and ESX(i) server has a limit for the opened connections. So could you tell me your configuration setup for the replication job? Have you added the target ESXi host through vCenter or you're using it as a standalone server? Also it would be helpful to know how many opened connections you have on the target ESXi host when the issue occurs. You can check that by using vSphere Client->Home->Sessions.

Thanks!
KenLoveless
Lurker
Full Name: Ken Loveless

Post by KenLoveless »

Any chance this is due to the VMFS block size on the target? I think it defaults to 1MB, so the biggest VMDK file you can have is 256GB.

I ran into a similar situation while doing a P2V migration of a huge small business server.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Ken,

The connection limit doesn't depend on a VMFS block size on the ESX(i) server's datastore, you could have different datastores with different block sizes. The connection limit relies on type of a connection being used. For example, you would have more connection available if you try connecting through the vCenter server rather than to ESX(i) server directly.

It appears that you have beed doing P2V migration using standalone hosts, probably the migration process required more connections than it was possible to use on the ESX(i) server at the moment, which resulted in this error.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Presumably vSphere 4.1 increased the max number of connection 4 times, this should help as well.