Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Lasr
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Synthetic fulls with DataDomain+Boost still unusable w/ v8?

Post by Lasr »

Hi Guys,

wish you a merry x-mas first.

My problem is that synthetic fulls are still unusable for me. I've a DataDomain 2200 as target and with Veeam v7, synthetic fulls were unusable because of the poor random I/O of DDs. After I upgraded to Veeam v8, I was happy to use the new boost feature and the better performance of Synthetic Fulls, but for me they are still unusable. Synthetic fulls was enabled in my jobs by default so I tried it sometimes, but mostly I had to kill the jobs, because they had runtimes more than 30 hours for ~50%. Yesterday I had some more time to investigate the problem, so I made an Active Full for one of my Jobs: 89 VMs, 2,9TB, needed 9h39min with 1 failed VM. After that, I made an incremental backup with synthetic full enabled today. It is still running and after 3 hours 75% completed. At my company I have to backup ~700 VMs, so if the synthetic fulls need 4-5 hours even after a 1 Day old full backup, how should I be able to run a synthetic full after one week?

So the question is: is it possible to use synthetic fulls with DataDomain as target or is it still completly unusable even with boost? And will the performance be increased with Patch #1?

Thanks in advance & Merry Christmas :)

Lasr
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Synthetic fulls with DataDomain+Boost still unusable w/

Post by foggy »

Just to be sure, have you re-deployed the repository as deduplicating storage appliance to make use of the DD Boost support?
Lasr
Influencer

Post by Lasr »

Hi foggy,

yeah I use repositories with the deduplicating / boost option.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can try to apply Patch 1 that has just been released as it is supposed to improve synthetic full backup performance on DataDomain.
Lasr
Influencer

Post by Lasr » 2 people like this post

I installed the patch yesterday and it's great to see, that the incremental backup times has decreased again. I will test the synthetic fulls now and report the results asap.
vStorage
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Post by vStorage »

Lasr wrote:I installed the patch yesterday and it's great to see, that the incremental backup times has decreased again. I will test the synthetic fulls now and report the results asap.
Synthetic performance is not improved with Patch 1 here - still looking at 30+ hours for test run of 6TB/70VMs (about 5x slower than an active full)

What's most disturbing about Veeam and DD boost - is that they only seem to use one stream to a single interface in a DD boost IFgroup (with 4 IP interfaces)

Even using multiple proxy VMs, only seem to get one backup or read stream
Barrie
https://twitter.com/vStorage
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Post by Gostev »

vStorage wrote:Synthetic performance is not improved with Patch 1 here - still looking at 30+ hours for test run of 6TB/70VMs (about 5x slower than an active full)
I would open a support case to see if the patch got applied correctly, as this is totally unexpected (you should definitely be seeing a MAJOR improvement after patch).
vStorage wrote:What's most disturbing about Veeam and DD boost - is that they only seem to use one stream to a single interface in a DD boost IFgroup (with 4 IP interfaces)
Even using multiple proxy VMs, only seem to get one backup or read stream
One job = Multiple read streams, One write stream.
You can always create multiple jobs, if you need multiple write streams.
Lasr
Influencer

Post by Lasr » 1 person likes this post

Synthetic fulls works for me now. All fulls were finished in 10-15 hours. More faster would be great, but I think this is the maximum for a DD.

Thanks for your help