Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Christian33
Influencer
Liked: never

Two tapejobs for one backupjob

Post by Christian33 »

Hello,

i would like to create twei tapejobs for one backupjobs.
The backup job creates a full backup at friday and from monday till thusday the backupjob creates incrementel backups.
The first tapejob writes the fullbackup to the friday_mediapool and the incrementel backups to the inc_mediapool.
For reasons of archiving a month tape should also be written (second tapejob). This month tape will contain the last full backup.

Is this possible ?

Another possibility would be two backup jobs with two tapejobs. But this approach is much memory intensive.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Two tapejobs for one backupjob

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Christian,
It`s possible, however for the described use case, you can just set one Backup-to-Tape job to write Full backups to the friday_mediapool and incremental backup files to the inc_mediapool.
By the way, are you using Veeam B&R v8? Thanks.
Christian33
Influencer

Post by Christian33 »

Hello Shestakov,

i have already configured this backup-to-Tape job. I need the second backup-to-Tape job. This job must write every last saturday the last full backup to the month_mediapool.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I see your point.
My suggestion was to use a single backup-to-tape job. For that purposes, you just need to set retention points number=30 in the source backup job; split full and incremental backup files to different media pools with the according retention policy for the backup-to-tape job. You can just re-configure your existing jobs, no backup files will be lost.
If the suggestion doesn`t work for you, please provide more information about the source backup job configuration(Backup method, schedule of full backups etc.). In this case, as was discussed, you can create the second backup-to tape job and run it monthly. Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Christian33 wrote:Hello Shestakov,

i have already configured this backup-to-Tape job. I need the second backup-to-Tape job. This job must write every last saturday the last full backup to the month_mediapool.
If usage of second job is mandatory and the approach described by Nikita doesn't work for you for whatever reason, then, update your product installation to version 8, switch the source backup job to new forward forever incremental backup mode, create a second backup to tape job, specify monthly schedule for it and let it create synthesized full backup.

Thanks.
Guido
Enthusiast
Full Name: Guido

Post by Guido »

The link to how to create a synthesized full backup is explaning how it works but it does not explain how to setup. Nowhere in the menus you can find the term "Synthesized full" or "Forever forward incremental".
Why is the sheduling for tape backups in 2 separate menu screens? Don't get it.

I just want to make a tape backup with only a latest (synthezised) Full to store it in a safe and keep it for 5 years. Can this be done with Veeam?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Christian,
For "how to do/set up smth." user guide has the administration section.
Here is described how to schedule the synthesized full option. Please take a look.
Forever forward incremental setting is chosen by default, you can check "Incremental backup mode" radio-button and uncheck Synthetic and Active Full backups.
The scheduling you are talking about is different. On step 4 (Media Pool) you are offered to set the synthesized full backup schedule, while Step 7 (Schedule) is made to set up the schedule of the backup to tape job itself. Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Why is the sheduling for tape backups in 2 separate menu screens? Don't get it.
You set up a creation on synthesized full while picking the media pool for full backups. So with synthesized full option, you say: I want to have a full backup created in this media pool on the specified day. Scheduling step just tells the tape job when to start.