Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
itfnb
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

New setup - tape capacities show 0.0KB

Post by itfnb »

I'm working on adding an LTO-6 workflow to our setup for end of year backup archives. Hardware-wise, Veeam seems to be able to see things. However, the tapes are reporting that they have 0.0 KB. Is this normal??? The job created using the tape setup is failing.

Watching the job, Veeam is able to move the tape and load it into the drive...afterwards, Veeam will report:

Drive1 (Drive ID: Tape0) locked successfully.

Then after a bit it will error with this:

Tape not exchanged. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

FWIW, I'm running v.8 with Patch 1 installed.

Oh, and its an StoreEver 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader w/ LTO-6 Ultrium 6250 SAS drive (HP model number C0H18A)

Thanks!
-Jim
itfnb
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Re: New setup - tape capacities show 0.0KB

Post by itfnb » 1 person likes this post

Well, while the Autoloader's firmware was up to date, the actually LTO-6's wasn't. I gave that a shot and it now it's working! :D So...perhaps maybe it was a Windows 2012R2 compatibility thing? I dunno.

Anyhoo...for anyone that ends up using an HP product with the LTO-6 Ultrium 6250 drive, make sure you've got its firmware updated (currently build 352W).
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: New setup - tape capacities show 0.0KB

Post by Dima P. »

Lucky guess :D Might be related to the non-equal default block size set in the firmware – autoloader tried to use one, drive another. Thank you for sharing the solution!