Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ckbrou
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chad Brouwer

Timeout Restoring VM Guest OS Files (Microsoft Windows)

Post by ckbrou »

Veeam support case# 00677338
Veeam version 8

I am unable to restore VM Guest OS files (Microsoft Windows) when restoring from my Data Domain DD690 on VMs with large drives over a few hundred MB. The VM I am testing with has 3 drives. 2 of small drives mount but the 3rd one (at about 800GB) appears to timeout and never shows up in the Backup Browser. I see an error in the Restore Session Log right after it tries to mount the restore point for about 10 minutes. Error:fid = 0022: step =0007,error = 183: 00000b7.

The Veeam support tech had me increase the RemotingTimeout registry value to 7800 but it doesn't seem to be honoring that. So I am stuck with copying the VBK file to faster storage before I can do an FLR which is time consuming and not ideal.

Does anyone know if there is another place where I should be adjusting the timeout? Or if maybe something else is going on? The Veeam tech wondered if something on the data domain was actually locking up and killing the mount process.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Re: Timeout Restoring VM Guest OS Files (Microsoft Windows)

Post by Gostev »

Hello, try to switch storage optimization to Local target (16TB+ backup files) in the advanced job settings, create the new Active Full backup to make use of this new setting, and try restoring from such a restore point. Let us know if it helps! Thanks.
ckbrou
Enthusiast

Post by ckbrou »

I have been running with that setting. I have the following advanced settings:
inline data deduplication disabled
Exclude swap file blocks
Dedupe-friendly compression level
Local target (16TB+ backup files)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

OK. In that case, there is little else you can do except of using our reference architecture, instead of backing up direct to Data Domain. Unless of course you can upgrade your Data Domain box to a faster one. Thanks!
ckbrou
Enthusiast

Post by ckbrou »

is there a built-in timeout then in Veeam that cannot be changed for FLR? I wouldn't mind waiting an hour for it to mount... it would beat manually copying the VBK which takes about 5 hours.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

There might be timeout customization actually, good point. Ask your engineer to escalate this to and R&D. Even if this timeout is hard coded, they may be able to provide you with a custom build that increases the timeout to a few hours. Thanks!
ckbrou
Enthusiast

Post by ckbrou »

ok will do. Thanks!
ckbrou
Enthusiast

Post by ckbrou » 1 person likes this post

I did receive a patch and it appears to have taken care of the issue. I am told that the fix will be permanently built into the product likely in patch #2. Thanks!