Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Dunc
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Duncan James

Request: Controller reg key reset during Bare Metal Restore

Post by Dunc »

Veeam Endpoint Backup like Windows Server Backup requires a little tinkering to restore from Bare metal to a destination virtual instance.
A possible restore scenario is that the source physical hardware has failed and is out of warranty, and when identical hardware is not available, the most logical thing to consider is restoration as a VM.

The original OS might be configured to use a specific storage controller however which uses proprietary drivers, and when completing a restore as a virtual instance, it produces Blue Screen 0x000000F errors. This is evident when trying to restore Windows Server 2008 guest from a HP DL360 to a VM as an example.

In a Windows Server 2008 restore scenario the controller driver instance can be reset by completing the following steps in the recovery PE environment:

Code: Select all

•Boot VM with Windows Recovery CD 
•Cancel automatic repair, if it starts up (I've attempted alternate paths where I allowed automatic repair, which was unsuccessful with same results as follow) 
•Click "Command Prompt" link 
•Run "regedit.exe" from command prompt 
•Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE 
•File->Load Hive 
•Dialog opens in "Boot (X:):\Windows\System32" -- navigate away from this and find the Windows\System32 directory on the virtual disk that will serve as the main (normally "C:") drive in the new VM(this was my "D:" drive on a system I'd booted from the recovery CD). 
•Double-click on "config" directory 
•Double-click on "SYSTEM" 
•type "p2v" as key name 
•Expand "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" 
•Expand "p2v" 
•Expand "ControlSet001" 
•Expand "Services" 
•Click on "LSI_SAS" 
•Click on "Start" 
•Right-click on "Start" 
•Select "Modify" 
•Enter "0" (no quotes) in "Value Data:" field and click "OK" 
•Scroll up to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\p2v and click "p2v" 
•File->Unload Hive->Yes 
•File->Exit Registry Editor 
•Type "Exit" in command prompt window 
•Click "Restart" button in "System Recovery Options dialog
As the Veeam Recovery appliance uses a similar PE environment, can these steps be automated and added as an optional part of the Veeam Endpoint Restore procedure?
Mike Laverick worked on a similar scenario with Server 2003 with his Ultimate P2V work that injected drivers into the VM http://searchvmware.techtarget.com/tip/Ultimate-P2V.
I used his techniques to convert a catalogue of archived Norton GHO files acquired through a business acquisition into working VMs in order to recover working accountancy systems. Thanks again Mike if you're reading this!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Request: Controller reg key reset during Bare Metal Rest

Post by Gostev »

Hello, P2V restore is out of planned scope of Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE functionality. We will consider P2V as a part of advanced restore scenarios available through Veeam B&R integration. Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Request: Controller reg key reset during Bare Metal Rest

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Duncan,
Our devteam is very interested in your case. They’ve asked me if you could reproduce the issue, then under recovery appliance go to tools use the collect logs tool and send me a download link? Thank you in advance.