Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
NewbieTech
Lurker
Liked: never

One Year Retention

Post by NewbieTech »

Hi Team,

I've been reading a lot of articles about doing GFS, but for the love of God, can't understand what I need. (english is not my first language)

Please help me configuring my Veeam. :cry: :cry:

I have a Full backup job that runs every night, with 31 days retention for me to have a quick one month worth file restores. However, I wanted to be able to keep a year worth of backup (365 days coverage).

With the settings above, will I be able to restore a file any day of the year or is it just 1 particular day of the month from the backup copy? (sorry for the very stupid question)

Another question, what would be the estimated repository size do I need assuming there will be minimal growth over the year. Currently, I have 4.4 TB total size of live data with 2.75 TB one month worth of data backup. I used the calculator Veaam support gave but I don't know how to apply that to my backup up copy job - offsite repository scenario.

Thank you so much in advance for your reply.

regards,

Tim
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: One Year Retention

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

With the settings above, will I be able to restore a file any day of the year or is it just 1 particular day of the month from the backup copy? (sorry for the very stupid question)
Any day from the latest month, and 1 particular day from the other monthes.
Another question, what would be the estimated repository size do I need assuming there will be minimal growth over the year. Currently, I have 4.4 TB total size of live data with 2.75 TB one month worth of data backup. I used the calculator Veaam support gave but I don't know how to apply that to my backup up copy job - offsite repository scenario.
Not sure what particular tool you're talking about, but of course you will need to take restore point's growth into account. More specifically, it's the oldest restore point (the one that gets transformed) that will be growing over the year. Also, with the specified settings you will have 13 full backups at the end of the year, as GFS restore points are kept as full backups.

Thanks.