Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ekisner
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

SureBackup Features?

Post by ekisner »

I've been running Veeam for years now and I'm just starting to get SureBackups started, decided I wanted the extra peace of mind. I should say that as of yet my SB jobs are kicking out more errors than a memory bank that tried to drink some coffee, so I've not yet actually RUN a job to successful completion, but these are my observations so far.

I'm noticing a few things however, and wanted to see what others would think of the following features:
1) Within Application Groups, it's possible to scale back memory - but not vCPUs. Should have the option of hard-limiting or auto-scaling the number of CPUs to what the host that the lab is on (or hosts, if it's a multi-host lab). My DR environment is a collection of my old production hosts, so the performance capabilities are quite a bit lower.
2) NTP proxy.. it would be great to have it "pretend" to be an NTP server of a defined address, which of course it would supply from a real source. This way servers power up like they would in a DR situation - where there is a real time that they can and would all sync to. Would assist things like Kerberos. I recognize that DCs within the SB job would be able to serve this purpose, but they would not know the time past their last backup.
3) Allow inter-lab communication. Distributed switches in ESXi are a great thing, if you've paid for the Enterprise Plus feature. It would be an interesting Veeam feature to let the labs route traffic not just between their internal interfaces, but between their external interfaces as well - I know they have this capacity already as they can act as internet proxies, it would just require some logic allowing them to chat amongst each other smoothly. With this approach, I could set up one virtual lab for each application group, allowing greatly distributed jobs without needing to pay for Enterprise Plus.

I may come up with more as I progress, but this is probably a good start. Am I the only one that would see interest in these features?
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Re: SureBackup Features?

Post by chrisdearden »

routing traffic to a different virtual lab ? I like it - though I suppose there would potentially be a limitation in that all of the virtual labs ( and the backup server ) should be on the same subnet - its not the end of the world though. Currently vlabs are not aware of each other
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

You're not the only one. Moreover, (1) has already been implemented in the v9 code branch (originally requested by @haslund during Veeam party at VMworld 2014 in SFO). Interesting how even some relatively small feature requests have a story behind them! And how far both me and requester have to fly sometimes to get a chance to speak about one :D
haslund
Veeam Software
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Post by haslund »

Great to hear this is implemented in v9! :-)

I think the idea of virtual labs communicating is a great idea.
I have few customers now where a backup job contains VMs from more than 9 different vlans... it would be nice to be able to setup one SureBackup Job and link that to the backup job, but that is not possible today.
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Gostev wrote: And how far both me and requester have to fly sometimes to get a chance to speak about one :D
I had to get hired to see some of my ideas becoming new features :D
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
ekisner
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

Post by ekisner »

Wow! Version 8 just came out and you've already got your v9 code in development? Fast moving :) No complaints, every major release I have seen has involved some pretty wicked quality of life improvements for me!

Thanks.