Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JorisK
Expert
Liked: never

Cannot connect to server :2500

Post by JorisK »

Hi,

We run a clustered ESX4 enviourment with the latest updates. One cluster contains my destination replication server. When setting up a replication job, select the storage and start the job i immidiately receive the message 'Cannot connect to server xxxxxx:2500'. Between both servers is a VPN with all ports open. We have SSH remotly enabled for root and i can open the server in my VEEAM shell using the root credentials.

Any idea?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Cannot connect to server :2500

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

The range of ports from 2500 to 5000 are used as transmission channels (between the source and the target hosts), so it's must be a firewall issue as we saw in most cases. Have you tried to open a connection on 2500 port within Veeam backup installation using putty/telnet?

Thank you!
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Post by TrevorBell »

HI,

I normally see this when i make a win 2008 vm and the firewall setting is on....

just allow it through the firewall..all is then oki
JorisK
Expert

Post by JorisK »

TrevorBell wrote:HI,

I normally see this when i make a win 2008 vm and the firewall setting is on....

just allow it through the firewall..all is then oki
Ah, it connects to the VM instead of the ESX host?

In that case: which ports needs to be opened? 2500 to 5000?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

The error in the original post relates to connection to ESX. In case of vStorage API mode jobs, connection is between Veeam Backup server and target ESX host. So check if ports 2500 is not blocked anywhere.
JorisK
Expert

Post by JorisK »

Hi,

The actual message is "Cannot connect to server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:2500". The IP it mentions is the IP of the VEEAM backup server, not the ESX host.

Anyone?
csanburn
Novice
Full Name: Chris Sanburn

Post by csanburn »

I just ran into this error yesterday while doing a file copy job. I just turned off the firewall on my windows 2008 server that is running veeam. Then started the file copy again and it worked.
I've also tried to replicate across a WAN with veeam and it fails with the same error message, where the ip address is my veeam host and it says port 2500. Veeam and my software provider worked together to determine that veeam makes the request to my off site esx host to do a backup and then my offsite esx host tries to communicate with the veeam server using the veeam servers private IP address and port 2500. This doesn't work because my esx is offsite and has no way to reach the veeam via a private ip (I'm not using a vpn between sites as I was asked not to, but a vpn would allow the private IPs to work).
It could also be that your esx host has it's firewall enabled and is blocking port 2500.
From a vmware community post I found that this command should open up ports 2500 to 2510:
esxcfg-firewall -o 2500:2510,tcp,in,VeeamSCP
(that will allow 10 jobs to connect, perhaps more than you need)
Original article was at: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/121504
JorisK
Expert

Post by JorisK »

Well, the server which is running VEEAM isn't running any firewall software. Also, we run Windows 2003 SP2.

I already got a littlebit futher: i removed the destination server from VirtualCenter and created a new single ESX host in VEEAM. Replication now works.