Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kyoon@casusa.com
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ken Yoon

VEEAM B&R v8 exchange backup logs truncated on all volumes

Post by kyoon@casusa.com »

Hello Happy new year to all!

I am new to VEEAM world and trying to learn how things work.

I had a exchange 2010 mailbox role VM where the disk vols were connected using in-guest iSCSI connection. I was using both Backup exec and Dell HIT kit to back them up.

After installing VEAMM, I just moved two volumes(out of 10) from in-guest iSCSI to virtual RDM, and set up a back up to just backup SYSTEM vol, and those two volumes,

Now, it seems like every time VEEAM backup is completed, logs from other in-guest iSCSI volumes get truncated as well. This is unexpected result although i will be migrating all of the vol to be backed up by VEEAM eventually.

Can anyone explain how VEEAM truncate the log, and how the method impact my setup? Thanks in advance to you all.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: VEEAM B&R v8 exchange backup logs truncated on all volum

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Veeam does not truncate the logs, this operation is implemented in and performed by Microsoft Exchange VSS Writer. The truncation is global (for all mailbox databases on the server), so it does not matter which disk the specific database is located on. You can disable log truncation in the job settings, in which case job will not instruct VSS writer to perform log truncation. Thanks!