Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Feature Request - Pre-Calculate size of Recovery Media

Post by ninjaburn81 »

Feature Request:

When Creating a Recovery Media disk, it would be nice that to have Veeam calculate the needed size a recovery media disk would need to be before firing off the creation process. Noting that a particular drive has insufficient space and is thus unselectable would be great too.

For example, I have a bunch of 1GB USB drives floating around that would be perfect, but when I tried one, it went through the whole process before kicking back an error stating the drive has insufficient space. So I tried a 16GB drive and it worked fine. Knowing what you need beforehand would save a lot of time!

Side Note: After it was done, the recovery media seemed to only use up about 450MB. So I am guessing 1GB wasn't big enough because of needed scratch space...?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request - Pre-Calculate size of Recovery Media

Post by Dima P. »

Adam,
Thanks - noted. Yes, we have found a bug USB drives of 1 GB or lower could not be used for recovery media creation – will be corrected in the GA.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Dmitry,

That being said (always good that the bugs get fixed :-)), I like Adam's idea of calculating the size or at least stating that the recovery media is not enough. Is this something we can ask if it is possible? I remember a tool from Microsoft that could "predict" this when creating a bootable USB and placing an ISO on it.

Thanks,

Mike
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Post by ninjaburn81 »

Thanks Mike!

If predicting is not possible, what about if a drive size (say 2GB) is selected, the software adds a step behind the scenes, where by using scratch space it creates the needed files first, and then if the resulting total is too large, it warns the user they need to select a drive of at least X size?

Trying to consider ways to follow KISS principles but give users options...thoughts?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Hi Adam,

We will pass it to the DEVs and see what they can do with it. I'm not sure if this will still make the cut into v1, but it certainly will be on the discussion table for the next version :-D

Cheers

Mike