Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
Blackduke77
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Robbie Roberts

Hyper-V Storage Spaces / Scale Out File Servers Monitoring

Post by Blackduke77 »

Hi,

I could really do with a monitoring solution for our Hyper-V Storage layer, we use multiple shared SAS SOFS servers, which present storage over a SMB 3 stack.

Do VEEAM have any plans that you can share that will provide bread and butter capacity management both from storage capacity and also perf counters like IOPS, Latency from disk, pool, space, to VHD.

Microsoft are really not delivering in this area and i don't think they will, I really need a solution, I have seen what work you have done for local host storage, do you have anything in the works that you can share for this type of solution.
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Re: Hyper-V Storage Spaces / Scale Out File Servers Monitori

Post by sergey.g »

Hi Robbie,

We are investigating a possibility to add an SMB support in some form to our future hyper-V MP versions, but because SMB is so widely used protocol in Windows Infrastructure we need to make sure we are not polluting SCOM with all mapped network drives. SOFS looks like an interesting and promising technology we'll need to take closer look, especially if it's being used quite often by our customers. This would really help if you can provide more details about your architecture, do you provision this storage via VMM or directly for each node of the cluster or just for each stand alone hyper-V host? We are open for suggestions.

Thanks.
Blackduke77
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Robbie Roberts

Re: Hyper-V Storage Spaces / Scale Out File Servers Monitori

Post by Blackduke77 »

from a VM to disk point of view I can understand the problem you mentioned above, but there is also another issue that needs solving and that on the other end on the SOFS, there is no good capacity management of a space or pool, nor performance monitoring of the pool itself. All the counters are there but because the CSV can move between cluster hosts it it not easy to collect and report the results per disk/space. It is possible just need some good dev's :) I am sure.

More than happy to show you our system and explain our pain points if you are interested.