Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
NashBrydges
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Feature Request - Disable backup if running on battery

Post by NashBrydges »

Hi All,

First of all, fantastic product! So far I've been very happy with the beta results so needless to say I'm excited to see the finished product.

I'd like to see an option to disable the scheduled backup if the PC is running on battery (as could be the case for laptop or PC running on UPS). This would allow the user to not have to worry about backups getting corrupted or incomplete backups.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Feature Request - Disable backup if running on battery

Post by Gostev »

Hi, actually this functionality is already available in the beta. Backup will simply not start when battery level is low (below 10% I believe). Feel free to test it, and let us know how it is working for you. Thanks!
NashBrydges
Enthusiast

Post by NashBrydges »

Awesome, thanks. I'll test it out. However there is a risk that there may not be enough battery remaining to complete the backup. Does this interrupt the backup in a way that could corrupt the process? I think an option to not start at all if the PC/laptop is on battery would be beneficial.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

In worst case the backup fails when you are running out of battery. What will happen is afterwards a new attempt ;-).

During my tests I have "interrupted" the backup at various moments in the process by rebooting, shutting down, hard shut down, killing the process and more of that fun stuff :-). I always had a failed backup, but after that it always succeeded without any problems (including recovery testing...)

Cheers,

Mike
NashBrydges
Enthusiast

Post by NashBrydges »

So is it fair to say that the only loss in those cases would be of a recovery point and that if using incremental backups that the chain of backed-up files isn't broken? For example...

- Jan 5 = Complete and successfull Full Backup
- Jan 6 = Complete and successful Incremental Backup
- Jan 7 = Failed Incremental Backup
- Jan 8 = Complete and successful Incremental Backup

The result of this chain is that I still have 3 effective recovery points (Jan 5, 6 and 8)?

Thanks for the clarification.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Correct,

And if I am not mistaken, your "retention" would also go further with one day since you would have X days -1 of recovery points.

But I hope Anton, Dmitry or Vitaliy confirm this :-D
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Yes, that’s right
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

NashBrydges wrote: However there is a risk that there may not be enough battery remaining to complete the backup.
Very little risk considering how long incremental backup normally takes (under 5 min) and the battery threshold (10%). I will need to double check the default, and may it will be a good idea to increase it to 20% to completely eliminate the risk... I just don't like adding options where they are not really necessary to vast majority of users.