Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
cmiller@hipco.com
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Charles Miller

More frequent recovery points

Post by cmiller@hipco.com »

I really like the software, but in the past I was a Mac user and used Time Machine backup. I would love to have the ability to set backup frequency, ie every 1 hour, every 4 hours, every 12 hours, once a day, once a week etc. Also what kind of backup is there, reverse incremental, incremental, or forever-forward incremental? Any plans to make reverse incremental?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: More frequent recovery points

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Charles,
Thank you for the feedback!

There is no limitation on restore point’s creation except the option Create backup no more often than XX. You can set daily backup plus any event and have more than one backup a day. The default backup mode is forever incremental. No plans for additional backup modes
cfvonner
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Carl Von Stetten

Post by cfvonner »

I too would like to see reverse incrementals, but I can live without it.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

cfvonner, can you please clarify a bit on why reversed incremental backup mode is more preferable to you?
cfvonner
Enthusiast

Post by cfvonner »

I use reverse incremental backups heavily on my Veeam B&R system, so it would be nice to be able to do the same with the Endpoint Backup system. Mainly, I like the idea that the most recent backup file is a complete, contemporary backup of a local system. On a desktop/laptop system, I am less concerned with recovering files from points-in-time past and more concerned with recovering a failed hard disk.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

On a desktop/laptop system, I am less concerned with recovering files from points-in-time past and more concerned with recovering a failed hard disk.
Aside from the backup model – this could be done via existing functionality. You just need the entire backup chain of full + increments available while performing the volume level recovery.
NashBrydges
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by NashBrydges »

If there are no plans on having reverse incremental then I would like to see the ability to select how often a full backup is made. Otherwise to restore a volume would mean that if one of those backup points was missing/corrupted, the backup would fail, am I correct? It could also significantly increase the time required for a full restore without a reverse incremental backup or at least the ability to schedule a full backup without manual intervention. Apologies if this functionality already exists and I've just been too lazy to find it ;)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

If a backup has a missing or corrupt incremental, a new full will be created automatically

Cheers
Mike
cfvonner
Enthusiast

Post by cfvonner »

So does Endpoint Backup verify the integrity of the entire chain prior to running each backup? I've got to imagine that will degrade performance as the chain gets bigger and bigger. Also, what if a backup gets corrupted before the next backup run, and you need to restore right then?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, but this process takes literally just a few seconds even with long chains.
You will always be able to restore from last good backup.