Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
timstumbo
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Tim Stumbo

More control over when copy jobs run

Post by timstumbo »

I'm having a real issue with my copy jobs. I get clean backups for a couple weeks and then one of the copy jobs will hang up then it messes up all the other copy jobs up. I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question, but is there anyway to run the copy job directly after the primary backup job finishes?

The way I currently have my primary backup jobs configured is that they always are scheduled to run in a specific order, for example..

Domain Controller Backup Job runs first, after it finishes it triggers the File Server Backup Job to run and so on until all jobs are complete. In my mind it would be nice if I could run the Domain Controller Backup Job, it then triggers the Domain Controller Copy Job, then it goes through the same process with the File Server Backup and Copy Job.

Also, why can't copy jobs have more scheduling options like the primary backup jobs? I think it would be really nice if you could run the jobs one after another time in a specific order.

I'm almost tempted to do away with the backup copy jobs and just have 2 backup jobs that go to 2 different repositories.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: More control over when copy jobs run

Post by Dima P. »

Tim,
You can link the regular backup job to the backup copy by setting it up as secondary target. Then backup copy will check the source backup repository for new restore points during the synchronization interval and fire them to the secondary location once the original backup job is completed.
timstumbo
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Tim Stumbo

Post by timstumbo »

Correct, but I wish that it would sync right after the backup is complete, and that the second backup job wouldn't start until after the copy job was complete.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Tim,
You can create separate backup copy job for each backup to disk job, of course if that works for you.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Hi Tim,
backup copy jobs use a primary backup as a source, that's the main reason for having different logic in it behaviour. For example, there's no reason to run it multiple times if there is no additional restore point in the backup that is used as a source, and it's why it runs in continuos mode "waiting" for new copies to populate the primary backup. What would be the reason to schedule it differently and then run with nothing to copy?
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

dellock6 wrote:What would be the reason to schedule it differently and then run with nothing to copy?
Ditto.