Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
beewerks
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alex Bukor

New feature ideas

Post by beewerks »

First off, I'm really enjoying Endpoint Backup. It does a pretty good job so far, but I would like some more customization of certain settings.

1. Offer compression level settings, or differential and incremental backup options.

2. Offer deduplication, as a bonus, dedup across multiple backups from various workstations.

3. Offer a retention policy, to help manage the number of older backups.

4. Last of all, perhaps having a "retry if failed" option would be nice, too.

I apologize if any of these features are already in Endpoint and I missed them. I know this is a free program so "deluxe features" may not ever appear in it. Either way though, this is a great option and I'm super excited to be using it! Thanks Veeam!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Re: New feature ideas

Post by Gostev »

Kindly please explain your use case behind the requested features.

1a. VEB already does optimal compression. Why do you want to control compression level?
1b. VEB does incremental backup (this is the only option available). Why do you want inefficient differential option?

2. There is nothing to dedupe within single computer backup & VEB does not support backing up multiple workstations (it can only backup the computer it is installed on).

3. We do offer retention policy.

4. We do perform retries on failure.
beewerks
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alex Bukor

Post by beewerks » 1 person likes this post

I'm mainly going off of the features that are in Veeam Backup and Restore.

1a. When you say the compression level is optimal, does that mean it is as compressed as absolutely possible? I'm using it for archiving key production systems and want to have the smallest backup size possible.
1b. I admit that differential backups aren't that great. I did forget to mention that it would be nice to have the option to do a full backup once a quarter or something for ease of cataloging a system over time or before a system change takes place.

2. That is fair, I didn't think of that. Thanks for explaining it.

3 & 4. I stand corrected! :) I actually had a backup fail yesterday and VEB retried it an hour later and succeeded.

Keep up the great work!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Post by Gostev »

1a. This means that you would have to pay 10x more CPU to get just 10% better compression. I get your point / use case, but we found the choice of compression levels often hurts more than it helps (because many people setting it too high, and then start complaining about poor backup performance). So, we did not want to put extra switches in hands of users with this particular product, since it will be used much more widely and by much less experienced users.

1b. We do offer ability to create ad hoc full backups (right in the beta). Check out the corresponding option in the tray application's shortcut menu.

Thanks!