Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rtanner
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan Tanner

Offsite Backups on External Storage

Post by rtanner »

My organization would like to retain 7 years of backups on external storage in an offsite location. I would imagine this is fairly common practice but I'm having difficulty finding the best way to execute such a task. Currently, at the beginning of every month, I perform File Copy jobs for 24 servers to a 12TB WD MyBook. Problem with my scenario is that one of the servers, exchange 2010, is 4.91 TB. The size forces me to disable the daily backup for the server until the File Copy completes. Even if we were using Backup Copy i would still need to do a full copy which is 2.7 TB. Unfortunately we are doing revers incremental so a Backup Copy job would fail if the files are in use by the daily backup job.
I also have a severe limitation of a 1 GB iSCSI connection from our storage to our UCS. Production storage is currently Compellent and NetApp(VNX5400 racked but not setup yet) with a Synology RS2414+ for a backups NAS.

Any input or articles would be GREATLY appreciated.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Offsite Backups on External Storage

Post by foggy »

rtanner wrote:Problem with my scenario is that one of the servers, exchange 2010, is 4.91 TB. The size forces me to disable the daily backup for the server until the File Copy completes. Even if we were using Backup Copy i would still need to do a full copy which is 2.7 TB. Unfortunately we are doing revers incremental so a Backup Copy job would fail if the files are in use by the daily backup job.
You can seed the initial backup copy job to avoid copying full backup, after that it will copy only changed blocks incrementally, meeting your backup window. Also, if you're on v8, you may consider switching to the new forever forward incremental backup mode that combines all the advantages of both forward and reverse incremental modes and does not lock the latest increment in the chain during backup.
rtanner
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan Tanner

Post by rtanner »

This would be a suitable solution with rotating media?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, especially with the improved support for rotated drives scenario implemented in v8.