Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
sebastien.fillaudeau
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: lille1

Feature Request - Add limit by space for backup

Post by sebastien.fillaudeau »

Hi,

I request a new feature. I was thinking it could be great to not only limit backup by number of restore point but also by a maximum amount of data.

This permit to have the maximum restore point possible for a limited space (quota, disk size, ...)

Sébastien
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Feature Request - Add limit by space for backup

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Sébastien,
Do you mean to limit the size of all backups(restore points) and to delete oldest restore points once the limit is reached?
Repository size is usually the limit. Could you provide a use case?
Thank you for the feedback!
sebastien.fillaudeau
Novice

Hi,

Yes i means limit the numbers of restore point by a space limit. Once this limit is reach the older restore point are removed.

For my part, i save my computer on a internal second disk of 500Gb. After the save, I copy the corresponding file on the network on a samba share. It would be great if a can limit the number of restore point to a size limit of 200Gb. 200Gb is the space limit of my samba share.
A full backup of my computer is 25Gb approximately so i think i can have much more restore point than the seven i have configure in backup job.

Maybe a sort of a report of the estimate restore point i can keep in a determined space can be a good start for that.

Sébastien
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thank you for the answer, Sébastien!
Sometimes you can`t just you delete the oldest restore point, since it is a part of chain, and have dependent restore points.
What users usually do is calculate number of restore points to reach the desired size and set warning on the backup repository when size of backups getting close to the limit.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Sebastien,

First, considering that we use incremental forever, since a full is 25 GB, even with a rather large amount of restore points, you will never get to that 200 GB :-)

That being said, the idea of having a size limit is something we are not going to see in v1, but you never know in next versions :-)

Cheers,

Mike
sebastien.fillaudeau
Novice

It permits to not doing it manually with a warning.

200Gb is a example for me, but having as restore point as the space permit is not a bad idea for a usual usage.

Sébastien
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I see your point, Sébastien.
Let`s see if other users have the same attitude and decide rather we need to add the option or not.
Thanks again for the feedback!
infortelecom
Lurker
Full Name: Mario Ortiz

Post by infortelecom »

Of course, I need it can be possible to setup a disk quota for Jobs on backup storage, I think it's useful because I am selling managed backup service and my customers are buying me space backup on destination.

Thank you very much.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

infortelecom wrote:Of course, I need it can be possible to setup a disk quota for Jobs on backup storage, I think it's useful because I am selling managed backup service and my customers are buying me space backup on destination.
That's a good use case. Can you please elaborate on this a bit more? Do you have your own application for quota management or you're using Veeam Cloud Connect for this?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Mario,
I am also interested in the feature request. In addition are you looking for such functionality provided in Endpoint or in the VBR (as a part of Endpoint – VBR integration)? Thanks
Daniel N.
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by Daniel N. »

Shestakov wrote:I see your point, Sébastien.
Let`s see if other users have the same attitude and decide rather we need to add the option or not.
Thanks again for the feedback!
Home user here: I was looking for that option, too, when I first configured VEP. I think it would be a great addition.

My plan was to store the backups on a NAS. The optimum was, to retain a history for as long as it would be possible without filling up the whole storage. At the same time, I needed to always have free space for the backups of my other home computers. So I was looking for a size limit, rather than a day-limit, to split up my available storage between the computers while gaining the highest retention span.

(Since this was not possible I decided to get small usb drives for each computer and just set the retention limit to 365 days.)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

What if an unplanned full backup pass will be triggered manually, which will lead to wiping out all data on the repository? In this case you will lose an ability to restore the required data, though it might not be that important if someone is using Endpoint as a home user.
Daniel N.
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by Daniel N. »

Vitaliy S. wrote:What if an unplanned full backup pass will be triggered manually, which will lead to wiping out all data on the repository? In this case you will lose an ability to restore the required data, though it might not be that important if someone is using Endpoint as a home user.
This is a good point. I did not think about that, honestly. More like that I assumed that a merge of the oldest incremental backups would take place until there is enough free space to make a new incremental.
Anyway, good point. I might want to have another look at my backup configuration!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Agee with Vitaliy. By the way, I was thinking about a temporary workaround for testing purposes and here is what you can do to limit the backup disk space usage (this will also work for using the drive without mount letter):

- Create a separate disk partition with the needed limit without mounting it as a drive letter
- Mount it as a folder via diskpart or disk management
- Point backup job to this folder

The week point of such approach - you need to predict the disk space needed for such volume based on you schedule and retention. When the backup job starts and there is no disk space left it will fail.