Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
B.F.
Expert
Liked: 9 times

ISO image to bootable USB

Post by B.F. »

Is there a way to copy a recovery ISO file to a USB Thumbdrive for booting? I tried using Unetbootin and all I got was the default Unetbootin screen looping.

Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: ISO image to bootable USB

Post by Mike Resseler »

yes there is.

To start, you can actually create it directly through our own wizard when creating the recovery appliance. select USB as target and everything will be done for you. note that it will erase the USB device.

second, if you don't want to do that and want to continue with the ISO you have, use the windows usb/dvd download tool http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... nload-tool. that allows you to select the iso and create a bootable USB device

cheers

Mike
B.F.
Expert

Post by B.F. »

Nice! Was not aware of this tool. Funny running an application called Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool on a Windows 8.1 box. :)
B.F.
Expert

Post by B.F. »

Hmmm, can't seem to get that tool to work. It gets to 99% done and then says "We were unable to copy your files. Please check your USB device and the selected ISO file and try again." Tried different thumbdrives (all with enough space) and different USB ports. Perhaps Windows 8.1 doesn't like this tool after all :(
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

I would suggest using our own wizard to create bootable USB... it just works, you know ;)
B.F.
Expert

Post by B.F. »

Yup, that obviously does work. :)

I can see a situation where the thumbdrive is misplaced and the .iso file is kept along side the backups. When a recovery is needed, snag any thumbdrive that's in a drawer, copy the .iso to the thumbdrive, then away we go. Could also use optical media too but that is so 2000's. ;)

Just for fun, tried the Windows 7 tool on a Server 2008 R2 box....same issue. Even tried creating a different .iso as well.

Thanks
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

That error you get with the download tool is actually a known one...

If you follow the procedure in this thread once, then you will never have that issue with that USB device again http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... df105a12c5

It has nothing to do with the OS :)
B.F.
Expert

Post by B.F. »

Thanks for the suggestion. I can see from all the comments on the site that the vast majority of peeps were successful with a small minority still not working. It would seem I would fall under the minority. I'm wondering if this tool is having issues with my thumbdrive size? After I select the .iso the format window title states something about not enough space? I did see a video when using this tool for windows installs that it should be 4gb (8gb preferred).

At any rate, I did mange to find another solution. Someone on the comments suggested using Rufus. After it finished, put in in a PC to boot and BOOMSHAKALAKA it worked!

Nice app to add to my tool box.
Lemonadrian
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Adrian Dale

Post by Lemonadrian » 1 person likes this post

Thank You B.F. Rufus worked me too when WUDT would not. I'm backing up multiple physical servers in a corporate environment and creating a bootable usb for every ISO is not practical. This way I can store the ISO's on a network share and create bootable drives when required. Thanks for posting your question and answer, a good solution!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Adrian,
Thanks for the heads up and welcome to Veeam Community Forums!
futureweb
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Patrick

Post by futureweb »

On Windows 10 I was unable to use the Windows tool, always stopped at 99 % no matter what I tried (no AV and so on).
I then used RUFUS. https://rufus.akeo.ie/ and it worked with it (using FAT32).
Would be happy if Veeam would have something like this, we have a recovery ISO for every Endpoint just in case, and don't want dozens of USB Sticks for it ;)
Patrick
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Patrick,

With this Rufus tool, you can create the regular windows boot image, right? If that’s true then Veeam Bare Metal Recovery is not possible, since it does not have the recovery components.
futureweb
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Patrick

Post by futureweb »

No, I was able to choose the Veeam created iso, and it was placed onto the USB. In my test I could boot successfully and then do a restore.
I am not sure why the Windows Download Manager didn't work, probably as I am already on Windows 10, didn't try it on a Windows 7 Machine.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks Patrick. I guess, it is something I should test during next weekend :wink:
Kimker
Lurker
Full Name: Kimker Qiong

Post by Kimker »

In fact, such a problem, a burner can solve all.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Kimker,

Can confirm that existing Veeam iso can be indeed placed to any media with the hand of external tools. Cheers!
Kimker
Lurker
Full Name: Kimker Qiong

Post by Kimker » 1 person likes this post

Kimker wrote: Jan 16, 2019 8:11 am In fact, such a problem, a burner can solve all.
Just do it: https://www.iseepassword.com/how-to-bur ... drive.html