Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AndyGDIT
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Andrew Frye

Using endpoint backup on a Virtual Desktop

Post by AndyGDIT »

Hey testers!

Is anyone testing this on a Virtual Desktop? I have tested single file restores which work fine, but I am trying to figure out how to be able to restore the full backup to another virtual desktop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Andy
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Using endpoint backup on a Virtual Desktop

Post by Dima P. »

Andy,
I am sorry, this might be a silly question – are you referring to Microsoft Virtual Desktop Infrastructure :mrgreen: ? I found several applications with such name, so can’t be sure we are on the same page . Thank you
CharlieKPoland
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by CharlieKPoland »

If you talk about using Windows as virtual machine and connecting to it via RDP - yes, I'm personally using such configuration. I have Windows 8.1 Pro 64 -bit as Host Server with Hyper-V role + Veeam Endpoint Backup Free Beta and here I have files (so I backup from time to time configuration and frequently volume with data). My machine I work is Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit and I have Veeam Endpoint Backup Free Beta installed, too. I have shared folders from Host server mapped here as local drives letters, but I only backup this Windows 7 Ultimate system configuration (System partition + C partition). Data are backup directly from Host as I mentioned before. In fact - everything works :)
BTW - Veeam cannot see and backup network shares, even if they are mapped with local drive letter :(
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Andrew, Charlie,

Yes, you can perfectly run a virtual desktop (doesn't matter on what platform it runs) and install VEB in it. As long as the OS of the virtual instance is windows 7 or higher, we are cool :D

I don't see any issues with BMR at all actually. I run a couple of VDI's and I just recreate a Virtual Desktop, attach the recovery appliance ISO to it, boot, and do a BMR. I do this for testing purposes almost on a daily basis. No problem here.

Is this what you are looking for?

Thanks

Mike
AndyGDIT
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Andrew Frye

Post by AndyGDIT »

Dmitry

We are using VMware Horizon View 6.0 with WIndows 7 Desktops. We have a gold image with the standard apps that we run off of and clone it and let the users install the one offs.

Charlie

We have everything redirected from a CIFS server, things like desktop, my documents, pictures, etc are all sitting on a seperate server which then redirects it to the proper location within the Desktop. My main goal with a BMR restore is getting the desktop back with the apps that have been installed. Documents are being backed up with a different product.

Mike

Thanks! I will give this a try and let you know the results. Do you know if VEB is going to be intergrated with Backup and Replication in the future?

Andy
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Andy,

I've learned the phrase "Never say Never" a long time ago :-)

But as for now, our only plans are that you will be able to chose a B&R repository as target, and that will be implemented at GA.

Cheers

Mike