TMassa
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Tony Massa

SOAP connection is not available

Post by TMassa »

My environment:
EVALUATING Veeam
8 ESX hosts in a single cluster. ESX 4 u1 (vSphere). All new and installed in the last 3 weeks.
Veeam B&R installed on physical host with an iSCSI connection to the same SAN as the ESX cluster. 1.5 TB for testing.

I have just installed Veeam B&R and I am attempting to backup my first VM. I can successfully connect to the VC and ESX server to see all of the data, but when I try to backup any VMware clients, the initial VBK file gets created on the iSCSI storage drive(V:), then the job fails with the following error:

Code: Select all

Retrieving VM disks information...
Failed to retrieve "SCSI (0:0) Hard disk 1" disk information. Check VM virtual hardware configuration.
GetLocalText failed
Client error: Cannot authenticate user.
Soap fault. TimeoutDetail: 'connect failed in tcp_connect()', endpoint: 'https://my-VC-server:443/sdk'
SOAP connection is not available. Connection ID: [my-VC-server].
Failed to create NFC download stream. NFC path: [nfc://conn:my-VC-server,nfchost:host-133,stg:datastore-87@VMHOST/WMHOST-000002.vmdk].

Server error: End of file
I can't figure out why I can browse all of the datastores, but can't login over SOAP. Is this a problem with a VMware config and not your product?

-Thanks in advance
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: SOAP connection is not available

Post by Gostev »

Hello Tony, it sounds like the issue is with Veeam Backup service account privileges. Please try to change the service account for Veeam Backup service to your own account temporarily, restart the service, and then start the job again. Please let me know if this helps.
TMassa
Enthusiast

Post by TMassa »

I have changed the account to use my VC login account with the same result. The web services was not enabled on the ESX host, and has been enabled, but I'm not sure if that alone would work since the Veeam app is trying to connect to https://my-vc-server:443/sdk, and not the ESX host. When I look at the VC Server settings, Advanced Settings:

VirtualCenter.VimApiUrl is currently set to https://my-vc-server:443/sdk

Would the vSphere Web Services API be enabled by default? It really appears to be just down.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Tony, please try to open vCenter web interface from Veeam Backup server. To do this, start Internet Explorer, open the https://my-vc-server page, and click on "Browse objects managed by vSphere." You should now see Managed Object Browser (or MOB), this gives you a more under-the-hood look at the same infrastructure you see through VI Client. Can you open this successfuly?
TMassa
Enthusiast

Post by TMassa »

Yes. I can see the VMs, templates, and datastores. Should I be able to see anything if I use a browser to https://my-VC-server:443/sdk? I have verified that I can access port 443 on the VC, but can't determine how to check to see that the /sdk path is working as expected.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Tony, please open a support case with our technical support for assistance with troubleshooting this.
TMassa
Enthusiast

Post by TMassa »

I'll do that after I rebuild my test machine with 2008 R2. It's currently on 2003 R2, which was used to test another app.

I did notice that I also got the following event in the Application event log; however, the errors do not correspond to the same time as the failed backups:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: VeeamLog
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1
Date: 3/17/2010
Time: 3:19:34 AM
User: N/A
Computer: MY-BACKUP-SERVER
Description:
Failed to add declaration
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80010002): Call was canceled by the message filter. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010002 (RPC_E_CALL_CANCELED))
at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)
at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
at System.Management.ManagementObject.Initialize(Boolean getObject)
at System.Management.ManagementClass.GetInstances(EnumerationOptions options)
at Veeam.Backup.Common.EnvironmentEx.GetCpuInfo()
at Veeam.Backup.Common.VLog.BuildDeclaration(StringBuilder sb)
at Veeam.Backup.Common.VLog.AddDeclaration()

I'll post the results using 2008 R2 on a clean install. Thanks for your help.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

I suspect this could be the issue with specific VMDK too (datastore-87@VMHOST/WMHOST-000002.vmdk), so you could also try backing up some other VM as a test.
TMassa
Enthusiast

[RESOLVED]Re: SOAP connection is not available

Post by TMassa »

After I reformatted the system and installed 2008 R2 x64, I do not have this problem any more. Everything works fine. So the problem was either with a conflicting software (that was removed), or with 2003 R2 x64. The previous install was clean with the exception of another backup application that was uninstalled prior to installing Veeam.

At least now, I can resume my testing. Thanks for the help Gostev! Can't wait until the 22nd.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

OK, thanks for the update.
woter
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Adrian Walker

Post by woter » 2 people like this post

Gostev wrote: Mar 16, 2010 8:56 pm Hello Tony, it sounds like the issue is with Veeam Backup service account privileges. Please try to change the service account for Veeam Backup service to your own account temporarily, restart the service, and then start the job again. Please let me know if this helps.
I feel a little stupid. Probably the result of trying to do too many things at once and getting side-tracked. Anyway, I was getting similar errors to the OP and it was indeed a permission issue. Having recently installed a new instance of vCenter (VCSA), I'd forgotten to add the security group to vCenter. (vCenter.domain.com/ui > Menu > Administration > Global Permissions > + > User: domain.com, dl_security_group, Role: Administrator). dl_security_group happens to contain the Veeam service account.

HTH