Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
CharlieKPoland
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Feature Request - much quicker CANCEL

Post by CharlieKPoland »

I noticed that cancelling takes to much time. Sometimes it even finishes job even it was cancell. So I request for much quicker cancelling. This is only copying data, not changing them at sourse, so I don't see any reason that saving incremental file cannot be stopped rapidly to quicker respond to user. If I manually break writing backup file - I don't care in what state it is left. More important as for me is to have full control over the Veeam Endpoint Backup.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature Request - much quicker CANCEL

Post by Mike Resseler »

Charlie,

I'm not sure if this is correct what you are stating. The moment we are writing the backup file, we are indeed not changing anything at the source, but we do are working with a VSS snapshot, which means the moment that you cancel, we actually have to make sure the snapshot is cleaned nicely. This doesn't happen in a split second. Therefore, if we would cancel fast, without caring what happens, there is always the possibility that a snapshot stays as a result and can cause issues later on.
CharlieKPoland
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by CharlieKPoland »

OK, but created VSS snapshot is a 1 file ? If so - I have very fast SSD drive - it should take miliseconds to delete that copy of VSS... I'm talking also about sittuation I cancel backup job during not VSS stage, but later, during backuping data stage. So no after few sesonds I cancelled, but after many minutes of started backup job. From cancel to real stop it took not seconds, but minute or minutes even.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Charlie,

During the entire backup process, the VSS snapshot stays alive (otherwise we can't copy the data to the backup file...) A snapshot is not just a file that you need to delete, it requires some OS work to handle this properly.

That said, since you state minutes, that does seem a lot. I'll investigate and see if I can reproduce this and if this is normal behavior.

Thanks

Mike
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

CharlieKPoland,
So I request for much quicker cancelling.
As Mike said this is by design, but I am interested why it bothers you? Is it just because you feel UI is being not responsive, or maybe you faced issues with backup files being locked while cancel is not completed? Thanks