Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
rsbconsulting
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Russell Burnell

Veeam 8.0 and Hyper-v 2012 R2 RPC Error

Post by rsbconsulting »

Hi,

I've just installed v8.0 as a trial and managed to backup a couple of VMs perfectly but the third one stopped about 93% of the way through with an RPC error and subsequently I can't access the Hyper-V server that hosted the VMs I was backing up.

It seems that something has caused the Host to stop responding to all remote communication (RDP, Powershell and even the iLo remote console). The VMs still seem to be running OK but I can't access the host!

Has anyone else had this problem with v8.0 and if so do you know if the patch resolves the problem?

Cheers for now

Russell
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam 8.0 and Hyper-v 2012 R2 RPC Error

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you have all latest updates installed on the Hyper-V host? Can you check the Windows Event log from the remote machine?
rsbconsulting
Novice

Post by rsbconsulting »

I can't get to the server remotely to check anything but did see that there's a patch that's been released for Veeam 8.0 since the version of the product that I downloaded and installed. I'll certainly try installing the patch to Veeam once I can connect to the server in question, I'll have to get on-site and connect a console to see what I can get to but fear I'll have to restart the host in order to see anything.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Not sure that patch could solve the problem, since I cannot recall anyone with a similar issue. I would suggest installing all latest updates on the Hyper-V host, then check Windows Event log for more info on the issue and just in case install Veeam B&R patch 1.
rsbconsulting
Novice

Post by rsbconsulting »

I managed to reboot the server from the local console (apparently the iLO Remote Console doesn't work if you have an additional GPU installed).

After re-starting the server I was able to connect to it remotely but couldn't see any obvious warnings or errors at about the time the Veeam backup failed.

I'll check that the server is fully patched and apply the Veeam patch and see if that helps.

Cheers for now

Russell
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Seems like a good plan, however I would also suggest installing Veeam ONE (free edition) and configure it to monitor your Hyper-V host. We have a set of predefined alarms that could shed some light on this behavior if you happen to see it again. Thanks!