Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

replication question

Post by ashman70 »

I had an issue this morning with a production machine and had to failover to a replica which worked great, however the customer is going to have to work off the replica until the end of the day when I can fail it back to production. Is there a way I run a backup of the replica just in case the fail back to production doesn't work? I have an issue with this VM where, even though I powered it down in the guest OS, it still shows as up and running in the Vsphere client. I have a case open with VMware, but I am just a little concerned that there could be an issue with the fail back and I don't want the client to lose a days work.

Thanks

AM
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: replication question

Post by foggy »

You can create a backup job and back this VM up prior to failback, as a precaution measure. However, just to let you know, Veeam B&R creates a protective snapshot of the replica so you could return to its pre-failback state in case something goes wrong.
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

Ok great thanks. This 'protective snapshot' is it read only? How is it 'protected'?

AM
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, it is just a common VMware snapshot.
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

One final question, when I am read to fail back to production, do I simply right click on the running replica and click on fail back to production, or do I have to power down the replica and then click to fail back to production?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Replica VM will be powered off automatically, prior to syncing final changes (step 5 of the failback procedure referred above).
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

Will it automatically power on the original VM when all the changes have been synced ?

Also if I want to do a backup of the replica, it would only do a full backup, correct?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

ashman70 wrote:Will it automatically power on the original VM when all the changes have been synced ?
Depends on what option you choose. See the answer to this question in this online help center web page >Failback
ashman70 wrote:Also if I want to do a backup of the replica, it would only do a full backup, correct?
First run will be full, all subsequent will be incremental