Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
shaharr
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: shahar r

Dose Veeam throttling works on digets calculating?

Post by shaharr »

Hi everyone.
i have a customer with 40 Mb (Mega Bits) wan link to his DR site. AS400 & Exchange replication are running on the same link so 30Mb throttling is applied to Veeam replication.
on normal jobs it seems that the throttling is working ok (i get a transfer rate of 3-4 Mega Bytes~) but it seems that if veeam is starting digets calculating the WAN link get "choked up" and the AS400 & exchange replication fail. once i stop the replication job the WAN link seems to be back to its normal state.

my question is network throttling affects on digets calculating?or will it utilize the link as much as the veeam server allows it?

thanks,
Shahar
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Dose Veeam throttling works on digets calculating?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Shahar,

Digest calculation should not saturate your link that much. Do you have proxy servers deployed in the remote site?

Thanks!
shaharr
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: shahar r

Post by shaharr »

Hi.
i have a remote proxy and all the settings are on automatic. WAN acceleration is not licensed.
i had a few problem with that proxy (he got stuck due to lack of free space) so maybe the source proxy loaded the link?

thanks,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Yes, it could be the reason for this. Remote proxy server is highly recommended in case of replication over the WAN link. If you do not have it available, then even throttling rules will not be applied, as they need to be configured between Veeam data movers that are deployed on the target proxy.