Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
aride4ever
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Austin Rodden

Backup to Samba share

Post by aride4ever »

It would seem that when clicking populate after selecting a network share you are given an error message (failed to get disk free space) access denied. This however does not seem to hinder the backup in any way. Clicking next allows you to finalize your backup. The share type is sitting on a Thecus N16000 in HA using an XFS file system. TBH im not sure if this is support ticket worth or if this is expected. Just thought id put it out there.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup to Samba share

Post by Dima P. »

Austin,
Thank you! How about the backup job to the said destination? Was it successful or this issue affects backup process as well?
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Post by ninjaburn81 »

Dmitry:

I was already playing with something similar over in this post here: http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-endpoint- ... 25389.html

This is the exact error received if credentials are not entered:

There is definitely a bug going on I feel. Pass-through of the logged on credentials (for AD-credentials on an NTFS-protected share) are not working; if that is even an option? It is not very clear.

However, If i check the 'This share requires access credentials' and enter an account that has access to the shared folder, it works fine. It also seems to cache the credentials, since I was able to backup, go to the Backup Settings, uncheck the box, and it still backs up fine. Also, the Populate button works, as long as credentials are entered (or 'cached' as I noted previously). However if I change the share, the credentials are lost, and backups/populate fails.

Should I submit a case for this?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Adam,
Yup. That is exactly the bug QA is fighting with from the beginning of the BETA :mrgreen: There is no need in specific support case since it’s a known issue, meanwhile, please, use the credentials checkbox and specify the creds. I am sure we get this behavior fixed in GA. Thanks!
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Post by ninjaburn81 »

Gotcha. Here is hoping they squash it!

FYI:
Bug occurred running Win7 x64 and Win8.1.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

I bet they do. Thanks again.